Forum Discussion

chris_adair
Occasional Contributor
15 years ago

Indicator does not appear when using VNC

I have noticed that if I connect to a machine running the scripts through VNC, I am not able to see the Indicator and thus, the status of the scripts running.  If I look at the actual machine running the scripts, I see it just fine.  I did not have this problem with TC 6.53, it just started with TC 7.52.  Any ideas on why this is happening?

4 Replies

• Hi Chris,

We have never seen such problems with VNC, though we are actively using it in our work.

Tell me more about your environment:

1. What versions of the VNC client and server are you using?

2. How many displays are attached to the remote computer?

3. What versions of Windows are installed on the local and remote PCs?

4. If you are using Windows 7 or Vista, let me know if UAC is enabled.
    chris_adair
    Occasional Contributor
    Hi Alex,

1. I have a couple versions that I using.  The server version is 1.0.4.914.  My viewer version that I use most is 1.1.0.2

2. The remote computer is a Virtual Machine in a server room.  I presume there is only 1 monitor attached.  On other machines I have tried this on, I had a VM running on a host that had two displays, though the VM was only utilizing one of the displays at the time.

3. Windows XP is the OS using the Client VNC, and Windows 2003 Server is the VM running VNC Server and TestComplete.

4. I have not tried this on Windows 7 or Vista.

Thanks!

Chris

• Hello Chris,

Thanks for the information. We have reproduced the problem.

However, it looks like this is a VNC problem - the Indicator icon is drawn with transparency, which is likely to cause problems for VNC.

We will see what we can do about this on our side, but there is no guarantee that we will be able to change this.

I recommend that you also try contacting VNC developers to see if they can suggest a solution from their side.

• Hello Chris,

We have just noticed that the specified version of VNC Server/Viewer actually has problems with all transparent windows (including the Vista sidebar control).

Install the latest version of VNC Server/Viewer to solve the problem - they seem to work better.