Ask a Question

Indicator causing test to stop since 12.4 update but won't hide

JennyH11
Frequent Contributor

Indicator causing test to stop since 12.4 update but won't hide

Hi

Since the 12.4 upgrade of TestComplete we have noticed that the Indicator is preventing on-screen actions (usually closing a window in a desktop application). It complains of there being an "overlapping window".

We have tried two ideas to work around..

1) Code Snippet: Indicator.Hide() 

and 

2) A Call Object Method on the Indicator with the method\property Hide

Unfortunately, neither appear to affect the Indicator or hide it at all. We still get the error for overlapping window (we need to be able to close the window to continue so ignoring overlapping window is not an option).

We have tried a Call Object Method on the close button in our application under test and strangely, it does manage to find the button and click it.

This is fine for a workaround but it raises several questions:

- Why is the Indicator more prominent in this version than the last?

- Why doesn't the Indicator.Hide method work? Are we doing something wrong or is there a known issue\bug with this?

Another issue we have seen in 12.4 is that when a test tries to click in the area behind the Indicator it actually clicks on the Indicator, as opposed to the operation in the test.... Which means the test pauses or stops. This is not ideal.

I fear this may mean having to make test amendments as a result of this issue and would like to know what is causing it and whether there are any recognised bugs? Perhaps we shouldn't make any changes and should wait for a patch to be released?

Has anyone else experienced any of these issues at all in the latest version? Any tips \ advice?

Thanks,

Jenny

19 REPLIES 19
tristaanogre
Community Hero

Re: Indicator causing test to stop since 12.4 update but won't hide

I have the following in a test case that I have and it's working fine.  This is a "Call Object Method" operation on a keyword test where the object is the indicator object.  

IndicatorHide.png

As I watch my tests, I see the indicator getting hidden at this point so I do know that this works.

So... since it's working for me on a Windows 2012 Server box, a Windows 10 machine, and a Windows 7 machine, the question then is what is unique about your situation that is causing this not to work?  Can you provide information like what kind of application you're testing, operating system, script language on your project, etc?

A screenshot, perhaps, of where you are implementing this method call would be useful, too.

Robert Martin
[Hall of Fame]
Please consider giving a Kudo if I write good stuff
----

Why automate?  I do automated testing because there's only so much a human being can do and remain healthy.  Sleep is a requirement.  So, while people sleep, automation that I create does what I've described above in order to make sure that nothing gets past the final defense of the testing group.
I love good food, good books, good friends, and good fun.

Mysterious Gremlin Master
Vegas Thrill Rider
Extensions available
JennyH11
Frequent Contributor

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your reply. It's interesting to know that it works for you. I wonder what the difference is..

We are testing a desktop application written in Delphi. We use a physical Windows 10 Pro PC for our test environments. The project scripting language is DelphiScript.

Based on what I'd read I used the Call Object Method and the Code Snippet (one disabled, one enabled, not both running at the same time!) at the very beginning of the Keyword Test. My colleague used it just before he needs the window to close in the test.

See attached for screenshot of where and how it is implemented in the test.

It might be worth adding that we used to see an issue where the Indicator would disappear for some time, especially after a few hours of usage (in the afternoon for example). This makes us wonder if something has been changed in the Indicator in this Release that makes it more prominent? Just a thought..

Thanks,

Jenny

tristaanogre
Community Hero

The question is: Where is that code in relation to when you need it to execute?  The way we use it is that, when we know, in our automation, that we need to interact with something in the upper right of the screen, we call Indicator.Hide.  Then, when we are done, we call Indicator.Show.  My suspicion is that you may think that code is being called... but perhaps it is not being called when you think it should be.  You can try dropping a breakpoint on the Indicator.Hide call and see if that is actually getting hit in your execution.

Now, you mentioned something... you need to hide the indicator so you can close a window.  Any reason why you can't just called object.Close()?  That seems to be the better solution... true, it doesn't answer the question about Indicator.Hide....  I'm going to fire up a quick DelphiScript project and see if that makes a difference but, as mentioned, I'm not expecting there to be a problem but I'll take a look. 

Robert Martin
[Hall of Fame]
----

Why automate?  I do automated testing because there's only so much a human being can do and remain healthy.  Sleep is a requirement.  So, while people sleep, automation that I create does what I've described above in order to make sure that nothing gets past the final defense of the testing group.

Vegas Thrill Rider
Extensions available
JennyH11
Frequent Contributor

Hi Robert

The Indicator.Hide is much earlier in the test than the close window action. Actually, when I tried it yesterday it actually worked! But it stopped working after a few runs of that test. I've tried it today and it's failed again.

Thanks for the information about the object.Close method. We did try this beforehand and it worked fine. We would just prefer to use the Indicator.Hide and Indicator.Show methods because in the test we want to close the windows using the mouse action, as a user would.

It looks like the object.Close method is the one to go with for now but it would be better if the Indicator would Hide.

Thanks for your help!

Jenny

tristaanogre
Community Hero

FYI, I just ran into this problem in our environment.  I'll be creating a support case for it.

Robert Martin
[Hall of Fame]
----

Vegas Thrill Rider
Extensions available
JennyH11
Frequent Contributor

Great! Thanks Robert.

Good to know we're not alone!

rickm
Contributor

Robert,

There is another serious issue that has changed with regards to the Indicator. I have thousands of Region Checkpoints in my tests. I upgraded from 12.20 to 12.40, now the Indicator is included in the Region Checkpoint if the application window happens to be wide enough to have the indicator overlap the application.

This is new behavior, and causes hundreds of my Region Checkpoints to fail.

As a temporary work-around, I tried to call Indicator.Hide() in "Run Code Snippet", and in a script called from my Keyword Test, and also tried the "Call Object Method" operation in a keyword test as you mentioned here. All of these are ignored!

I'm not going to add a mask to every Region Checkpoint as a work-around.

This really puts me in a bind.

Regards,

Rick

AlexKaras
Community Hero

Hi Rick,

Thank you for the detailed description of the problem. (BTW, does it still exist in the version 12.41, the latest at the moment of writing?)

The case is that Robert is not employed by SmartBear, so I would recommend you to create a Support ticket via the https://support.smartbear.com/message/?prod=TestComplete form and reference this thread.

Regards,
  /Alex [Community Hero]
____
[Community Heroes] are not employed by SmartBear Software but
are just volunteers who have some experience with the tools by SmartBear Software
and a desire to help others. Posts made by [Community Heroes]
may differ from the official policies of SmartBear Software and should be treated
as the own private opinion of their authors and under no circumstances as an
official answer from SmartBear Software.
The [Community Hero] signature is used with permission by SmartBear Software.
https://community.smartbear.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/hall-of-fame
================================
tristaanogre
Community Hero

@rickm wrote:

Robert,

There is another serious issue that has changed with regards to the Indicator. I have thousands of Region Checkpoints in my tests. I upgraded from 12.20 to 12.40, now the Indicator is included in the Region Checkpoint if the application window happens to be wide enough to have the indicator overlap the application.

This is new behavior, and causes hundreds of my Region Checkpoints to fail.

As a temporary work-around, I tried to call Indicator.Hide() in "Run Code Snippet", and in a script called from my Keyword Test, and also tried the "Call Object Method" operation in a keyword test as you mentioned here. All of these are ignored!

I'm not going to add a mask to every Region Checkpoint as a work-around.

This really puts me in a bind.

Regards,

Rick

As noted, please report this... there is a patch available that I applied... but the patch, I think, needs to be supplied officially by SmartBear staff (which I am not).  That patch will fix the Indicator.Hide/Show problem in the OP and, I believe, will take care of thise latest issue.

Robert Martin
[Hall of Fame]
----

Vegas Thrill Rider
Extensions available
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: