Forum Discussion

meenakshiyadav1
Contributor
5 years ago
Solved

How to remove unwanted "/" from a string

I  am using FullName property of a label object and then splitting the string to get the Full Name of Dynamic parent. 

This FullName Property returning the string as :"Mobile.Device(\"iPad\").Process(\"iA360 StageTest\").Window(0).TableView(0).TableViewCell(0, 2). Label(\"Gallo PICO\", 0)".

I am unable to remove "\" from the string using replace method or split method of javascript.Aways getting syntax error because of "\'. Can some guide me how can I remove "\" from the above string and get below string

"Mobile.Device("iPad").Process("iA360 StageTest").Window(0).TableView(0).TableViewCell(0, 2). Label("Gallo PICO", 0)".

Thanks in advance.

Wamboo
    5 years ago

Hi, meenakshiyadav1 ,

I have made you a film showing my work with the "FullName" property of a given object.

The video shows that you don't need to format a sequence of characters to create an object from such a sequence of characters taken from the "FullName" property.

The problem you are presenting does not concern the character "\" at all. In programming languages, such a "\" character in a string means running away from special characters (in your case it is a " character) because the whole string is enclosed in double-quotes.

So the correct character to remove from the string is " and not {What you see on the video}.

Summary of the film:

1) newStr -> represents the division of the character string into an array by " which may allow you to manipulate the array after it is connected. Note that if you glue it again in the string it will again show up "\" because it's an escape sign from special characters!

2) WWFUllName, ReplaceWWWFUllName, ReplaceWWFUllName2
    Here you can see that it is not possible to format this string using a character \ you can do it by " (as above)

3) evalObjECT and result
    Create an object from a string of characters taken from the FullName property and then extract the property from it.

Is that what you mean?

In general, know that you can dynamically search for such elements using .find() by looking at the structure of objects and not only downwards but also upwards using a property such as .Parent.

Let me know if this helped you.

12 Replies

meenakshiyadav1
      Contributor

Thanks for the quick reponse. The main issue I am facing is that I need to replace single backslash "\" with "".  eg. "Mobile.Device(\"iPad\") should be Mobile.Device("iPad").

It seems Testcomplete is using this "\" just before " to make it litteral ". I need this single backslash to be removed. Below is my code:

var FName =Object.FullName   //  Results :"Mobile.Device(\"iPad\").Process(\"iA360 StageTest\").Window(0).TableView(0).TableViewCell(0, 3).Label(\"Gallo PICO\")"
      var str = FName.split("\","")  ///This give error " Invalid or Unexpected token" 

If I do ..var str = FName.split("\/g","")  // This does not do anything i get a blank string.

Wamboo
        Community Hero

Alright, try this one:

var t = a.split('"').join("''");

:smileylol:

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

If you have the child object... why do you need the full string to find the parent?  There should be a property on the child object called "Parent" which will take you directly there.

meenakshiyadav1
      Contributor

tristaanogre I am finding the child object using Find All children method applied to a grand Parent object as the parent is dynamic . When I try to access the Parent property of this child objects it does not return the Parent instead it returns the grand Parent to me, maybe because I am finding the object using grandparent. 

Wamboo I am confused as to how to use your suggestion. Can you please give me a bit more elaborative example. I need to remove \ .

Wamboo
        Community Hero

Hi,

To help you better I need to know what do You want to do after formatting this string?

What will be your next step?

If you .split('"') and .join(' ') You will get the same result because this sign /" is again because it means "escape of the special characters in the string.