Forum Discussion

heidi_n
Regular Contributor
8 years ago
Solved

How much RAM is Needed/Recommended to run TC11?

How much RAM is needed/recommended to run TC11?

My workstation has 12 GB RAM and I remote into our server dedicated to TC which also has 12 GB. (This is working great.) However, my colleague has 8  GB RAM and when he remotes into the same server which has 12 GB, he has performance issues with TC. Would upping his workstation from 8 GB to 12 help?

• heidi_n wrote:

My workstation has 12 GB RAM and I remote into our server dedicated to TC which also has 12 GB. (This is working great.) However, my colleague has 8  GB RAM and when he remotes into the same server which has 12 GB, he has performance issues with TC. Would upping his workstation from 8 GB to 12 help?

Technically speaking, TC uses the resource of the machine on which it is running.  So, it should be using the 12 GB of RAM on the server, not the 8 GB on the local box.

That said, the performance of the local box does impact how the machine interacts with the remote with regards to graphics processing, streaming and processing the received data, etc.  So, it wouldn't HURT to up it to the full 12 but it honestly sounds like there is something else going on.

3 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

heidi_n wrote:

Technically speaking, TC uses the resource of the machine on which it is running.  So, it should be using the 12 GB of RAM on the server, not the 8 GB on the local box.

That said, the performance of the local box does impact how the machine interacts with the remote with regards to graphics processing, streaming and processing the received data, etc.  So, it wouldn't HURT to up it to the full 12 but it honestly sounds like there is something else going on.

Marsha_R
    Champion Level 3

https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/general-info/system-requirements.html

• A 64-bit operating system like Windows 7 or later.

• Microsoft Internet Explorer 9.0 or later.

• Intel Core i5 or Intel Core i7 (the 3rd generation).

• 6 GB of RAM or more.

• 1 GB of free disk space for installation, plus extra space for temporary files during test runs (see below).

• 1280 × 1024 or higher display resolution.

• Mouse or other pointing device.

Marsha_R
      Champion Level 3

Take a look at what else is running when TC is being used.  Other programs can be eating up the available RAM.  Firefox and Chrome will be big offenders in this category.