Forum Discussion

tvklovesu
Frequent Contributor
2 years ago

FindChildbyXpath is not able to identify few objects.

Hi,

I am trying to get the object and click on it by using the findchildbyxpath method. The page has more than 10 records and when I used this method It identified few of them and others didn't and the TestComplete throws the following error

JavaScript runtime error.
TypeError: Cannot read property 'click' of null

NameMapping.Sys.browser.pageRavenCore.searchResults_row_Btn = //div[@data-testid="searchResults"]

When I search for record that has 'Recipient' then it identified and able to execute the below line
NameMapping.Sys.browser.pageRavenCore.searchResults_row_Btn.FindChildByXPath('/*[contains(text(),"Recipient")]').click()

When I search for record that has 'name' it is not identified and getting the above error when tried to click on it. But the same xpath identified the object when I tried in chrome console.

NameMapping.Sys.browser.pageRavenCore.searchResults_row_Btn.FindChildByXPath('/*[contains(text(),"name")]').click()

I am not sure if I am missing anything in the xpath

TIA

2 Replies

AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3

Hi,

Might it be the timing issue?

Does the problem exist if you insert some delay (e.g.  aqUtils.Delay(5000); ) before the call to the problematic line?

tvklovesu
      Frequent Contributor

Hi AlexKaras,, no even adding delay it didn't find the object, but the object is with in viewpoint. If I use FindElements with complete xpath including the parent like below then it works and clicking on the element. Also In some cases the FindChildByXpath is taking long time to identify the element. 

This works
      FindElement("//div[@data-testid=\"searchResults\"]//div[@role=\"button\"]//descendant::*[contains(text(),\"name\")]").click()

instead of 
      NameMapping.Sys.browser.pageRavenCore.searchResults_row_Btn.FindChildByXPath('/*[contains(text(),"name")]').click()

Should I use any other method instead of FindChildByXPath