Frequent Contributor
6 years ago
Solved

Desktop is invisible

Hi all, 

All of a sudden I'm getting this error.

Running test cases on remote desktop.

Getting this error here are the details:

The operation cannot be performed, because the desktop is invisible. 

Possible cause: * The test is run on a computer that is controlled via Remote Desktop, and the Remote Desktop window was minimized on the controlling computer. As a result, the controlled computer's GUI became unavailable and GUI actions cannot be performed. Possible solutions: * Do not minimize the Remote Desktop window on the controlling computer during the test run. * Modify the Remote Desktop settings on the controlling computer so that minimizing the Remote Desktop window does not affect the GUI availability on the controlled computer

Possible cause:
* The test is run on a computer that is controlled via Remote Desktop, and the Remote Desktop window was minimized on the controlling computer. As a result, the controlled computer's GUI became unavailable and GUI actions cannot be performed.

Possible solutions:
* Do not minimize the Remote Desktop window on the controlling computer during the test run.
* Modify the Remote Desktop settings on the controlling computer so that minimizing the Remote Desktop window does not affect the GUI availability on the controlled computer

6 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

Yup... if you minimize your RDP connection to your remote machine, if you disconnect your RDP connection to your remote machine and it's not redirected to the console, if the remote machine does not have a valid logged in user session with UI... you'll get that message.

Two articles of interest.  Check these out, apply the solutions, and see if this fixes things.

https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/testing-with/running/via-rdp/in-minimized-window.html

https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/testing-with/running/via-rdp/keeping-computer-unlocked.html

romanmfs
      Frequent Contributor

Thanks, I will check the articles now. 

However my question is why it was working just fine for over 6 month now and now all of a sudden decides not to like the minimized window.

tristaanogre
        Esteemed Contributor

Again (as with your other post)... what changed? You're working with a VM.  Has some update been applied to the VM that altered registry settings? Is it a different OS than it was before? Something must have changed recently to alter this behavior. Time to play detective.  That particular limitation of TestComplete has been such since version 2 (I remember having to deal with it back then) so it must be something environmental that has changed recently to cause this change in behavior.