Forum Discussion

Louis
Contributor
14 years ago

Data driven testing stop and start points

Hello, using keyword scripts (I have little/no coding experience) I require test complete to perform data driven testing for 40 values from my data file then i want it to close and reopen the application an start testing again for the next 40 values in the data file. At the moment i am using several scripts all referring to different data files which i then run as a suite but i'd like to just have one large data file and one script do the same thing.

7 Replies

• Hi,

At the moment i am using several scripts all referring to different data files which i then run as a suite but i'd like to just have one large data file and one script do the same thing.

To learn how to implement a data-driven test in a keyword test, see this article - it provides general information about data-driven testing and includes a tutorial demonstrating how to create a data-driven test in a keyword test.

Also, I recommend that you read the 'Organizing Data Storages' help topic that provides information on what data storages are supported.
  • Hello, thanks for the reply, but I can manage to use one data file but i have to break it down into columns of 40 fields for each iteration.using a separate script or many repetitions of the same actions with one script.

My main question is how to make test complete loop that will run 40 fields at a time from the data pool. e.g open app run 40 fields close app, then open app run the next 40 fields close app, open app....and so on.

The reason being that at present the app can become unstable after 40 repetitions of the same action.

• Hi,

My main question is how to make test complete loop that will run 40 fields at a time from the data pool. e.g open app run 40 fields close app, then open app run the next 40 fields close app, open app....and so on.

You need to organize the loop so it can start with launching the application, proceed with operating the data, and end with closing the application.

At the end of the loop, the code will move to the next record in your data source, so the next iteration will read a new data row.
    deena
    Occasional Contributor
    Hi,

i do have the same problems,

can u (Alex) give me a bit of examples of script that can do the loops? coz i'm mot really good in scripting.

thanks b4
    deena
    Occasional Contributor
    thanks 4 ur answer..

but when i want to try it in my testcomplere 7, i didn't find data driven feature.

is testcomplete 7 does not support data driven testing?

or i can do the same thing with another feature that testcomplete 7 has?