Forum Discussion

whuang
Regular Contributor
5 years ago

Conflicted when trying to commit to SVN

Hi everyone,

I was trying to commit some of my new test sets to SVN, but I got some error saying the items are in conflicted status.

I go to one of the conflicted script, and saw below.

The blue content are not mine, was it because I was adding stuff to this script while another team member adding code to the script as well? In this case, what should I do? How can I commit my scripts in without mess up other people's work?  Did I loss all of my work?

Thanks in advance!

7 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

I always do a pull and merge before I commit.  That makes sure that my local copy is up to date with the remote copy before I commit.

That said... no, you didn't lose everything.  You just need to pick and choose and be diligent in how to do the merge.  Manual merging is probably what you're going to have to do.

whuang
      Regular Contributor

Thanks tristaanogre , so you mean right now I have to pick my codes out and the pull the latest version from SVN,  and then commit my codes in? Did I understand you right? Also, can you let me know what these codes stands for? Like ||||||| .r3244, =======, >>>>>>> .r3384, <<<<<<< .mine. It looks to me that content below <<<<<<< .mine is my code, ||||||| .r3244, ======= is the start of someone else's code, >>>>>>> .r3384 is the end of someone else's code. Am I right?

In Addition, how can I get my namemapping objects out? it shows the namemapping was in confiliceted as well, but when I go to NameMapping, I don't see any highlights there. I namemapped many objects, I don't remember exactly which ones I named.

tristaanogre
        Esteemed Contributor

1. Pull from SVN

2. Merge into your code what was pulled from SVN (this does not mean remove your stuff, just blend the two, keeping yours and keeping theirs and making sure it all stays functional)

3. Commit changes

However, probably better, is to do branches so that you work in one branch, someone else works in another, and there is someone whose responsibilty when it comes time to deploy changes to "production", to merge the branches into a single repository.

All this is "standard" code repository stuff... not strictly TestComplete.

NameMapping merging... now that's a different story.  And there are multiple topics here on that with techniques on how to do so.  Go searching and see what works best for you.