Forum Discussion

GradyJr
Contributor
5 years ago
Solved

A Tale Of Two Slaves

We finally got our licensing issue straightened out and our master server can now simultaneously send one project to one slave and another project to a different slave. the slaves are identical and are running the same version of TestExecute, however one of the two slaves (QAS1 in the attached image) has no problem with any of the name mappings in the project while the second slave (QAS2) doesn't seem to be able to recognize anything. I started this test last night before leaving work. QAS1 finished within 15 minutes and QAS2 was still running this morning when i arrived. I would really love to know if this is TestExecute related or not. I will researching this issue today to see if there is anything different about the servers themselves but wanted to put this out there in case anyone else has ever seen this type of behavior and what could be done about it. I probably won't be able to get back to researching the DblClick issue until i get this issue resolved.

On a separate and unrelated note, can anyone tell me why, so often, when a remote session kicks off that the Microsoft Store splash screen pops up and stays in the background?  Microsoft Store is not one of my TestedApps and I can't figure out why it keeps getting opened up on the remote RDP.

Thanks!

• I turned this over to a colleague of mine and he seems to have it working by 

1. Eliminating the network suite of the project we had set up as sort of a central "traffic cop" for defining jobs and tasks and just running the project suites themselves individually

2. Using the CopyProjectToSlave method rather than having the files already on the slave machine.

I'm not sure if it's one or the other or a combination of both but it also seems to have resolved the issue i brought up in a different post about he double clicks (DblClick) not working. 

17 Replies

• forgot to upload the image. i also uploaded on of the Microsoft Store that keeps popping up.

TJ33
      Occasional Contributor

GradyJr  I've seen this Microsoft store popup locally when I start a keyword test.  I cannot duplicate it regularly though. I've also seen the Windows\Settings dialog popup when kicking off a keyword test.  And I've actually had both of them popup before.  I've been unable to figure out what is going on though...

GradyJr
        Contributor

At this point I don't think the splash screen is interferring with my tests (as long as it goes and stays in the background and doesn't cause an overlapping window issue) but it is annoying. 

• In order to troubleshoot this issue we installed a copy of TestComplete on the remote system where TestExecute was already installed. When I change the remote application on the Network Suite | Jobs to TestComplete, it runs fine. When its pointing to TestExecute on this system it fails. Does this indicate anyting to anyone?  Is it still related to a TestExecute licensing issue or something?

David

GradyJr
      Contributor

I noticed a thread about name mapping in which it was suggested to check the release versions of the products. I'm attaching a couple of screenshotes showing the versions of both the TestExecute and TestComplete installed on the remote system. Again, when i point the Network Suite to the TestComplete on the remote system, it runs. When I point it to the TestExecute it fails

hkim5
        Staff

GradyJr not sure if this will be the fix, but in the remote environment where you are running TestExecute thorugh network suite, could you try going to the file location where testexecute.exe is located, and give it elevated permissions by going rightclick-properties-compatibility-run this program as an administrator?

just grasping at straws here but it's an idea :)

GradyJr
      Contributor

In one of my last posts I on this topic I wrote:

"In order to troubleshoot this issue we installed a copy of TestComplete on the remote system where TestExecute was already installed. When I change the remote application on the Network Suite | Jobs to TestComplete, it runs fine."

It ran fine as long as it was the only one I was running remotely.  as soon as I started running my network suite job that kicks off two simultaneously, it behaved just like it did when pointing to TestExecute. The first slave computer (pointing to TestExecute) ran smoothly but the second one (now pointing to TestComplete) couldn't even find the UserID name mapping again and just sat there waiting and waiting despite the fact that the UserID textbox was sitting right there on the screen. It was great that we were finally able to see two remote slave screens side by side from our master server and both of them "seemingly" running TestSomething (Execute/Complete) but why can't both of them run their project suites?

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times"

GradyJr
        Contributor

I think I figured out why the testcomplete wasn't working on the second slave and, if my upcoming test proves my theory, then it was my own silly mistake.

We have six individual projects suites where the tests reside and then one that is set up to control the network suite. I had set up three of the individual projects to run on slave host 1 and the other three to run on slave host 2. Initially both slave hosts had TestExecute installed and licensed and all six projects were pointing to test execute both inside the NetworkSuite on their individual projects and on the Network/Control project. The highlights on the attached image shows where I made my mistake. I changed three of the individual projects to point to TestComplete and it worked because I was doing the test from inside each individual test projects's network suite but I failed to change them on the Network Control project so my test last night was still using TestExecute for those three projects. I've corrected that now and I'm preparing to truly see if the name mapping issue is gone by pointing to TestComplete.

However, there will still be the issue for which I opened this thread as to why (if testcomplete can but testexecute cannot) seem to find the name mapping for the userid textboxes on the second slave host