Forum Discussion

lvl
Occasional Contributor
9 years ago
Solved

View results produced by TE in TC 11

i use TC and TE 11, how can I view test run results produced by TE in TC? I cannot open the logs in TC. The .mht file opene in browsers don't tell Errors and Warnings number. I would like to have the information in the yellow cercle in the attached file. And I can't export the results to Excel. Anyone can help? Many thanks!

• Hi Lvl,

After TestExecute executes your TestComplete project, it will post a test log to the following folder:

<Your TestComplete Project>\Log\

This folder should contain *.tcLog files with the test results. Once you open this project in TestComplete, the tool will obtain all test results from this folder and show them in Project Explorer.

Another way is to export the test log at the end of the test execution:

//JScript
    Log.SaveResultsAs(FileName, lsXML);

The Log.SaveResultsAs method will export the test log in a format that TestComplete will be able to read.

• Hi,

It is possible to see logs from TestExecute (TE) test runs in TestComplete (TC) environment and Tanya's reply was absolutely correct.

As she wrote, TE saves original test log in the Log\ subfolder of your test project (where .mds file is located). Referring the image from your initial post, this will be C:\LVL_TestComplete\TMI\OPC\OPC\Log one.

TE has the default setting to display test log on test run end. In order to do this, it exports the log as an .mht file into temporary folder and opens the exported file in the browser. This is what you see on the screen after test run.

When you open your test project in TC, you will see logs generated by TC and TE under the Logs node in the Project Explorer.

TE has no means to open and display original test logs because TE is just a runtime engine to execute test code. It is possible to open test logs from TE (by right-clicking TE icon in the system tray), but the opened logs will always be an exported copies (.mht) of the original test logs. Original test logs can be opened with TC only.

Did the above make things more clear?

8 Replies

TanyaYatskovska
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi Lvl,

You should see all log files generated by TestComplete and TestExecute in your project folder:

<ProjectName>\Log\

Once you open the project in TestComplete, you should see the test results generated by TestExecute in Project Explorer. Do you see them?

lvl
      Occasional Contributor

Hello Tanya,

Thank you for reply, I am new to TC. I ran the test with TE, the results are C:\Users\Administrateur\AppData\Local\Temp, and in .mht file. How can I view them in TC 11? Or how can I export to Excel? There's no way to open just results in TC?

TanyaYatskovska
        SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi Lvl,

After TestExecute executes your TestComplete project, it will post a test log to the following folder:

<Your TestComplete Project>\Log\

This folder should contain *.tcLog files with the test results. Once you open this project in TestComplete, the tool will obtain all test results from this folder and show them in Project Explorer.

Another way is to export the test log at the end of the test execution:

//JScript
        Log.SaveResultsAs(FileName, lsXML);

The Log.SaveResultsAs method will export the test log in a format that TestComplete will be able to read.