Forum Discussion

OlgaV
Occasional Contributor
9 years ago
Solved

Unable to create the 'Project' element, because the file ... does not exist error

Hello,

I am running into this error: "Unable to create the 'Project' element, because the file ... does not exist" when opening a project. The files requested do exist in the file folder that I specify when selecting the progect file from the file tree, but it is searching for the file from one step higher in the hierarchy, where a project existed, but was deleted.

I found, that someone already had an issue with that long ago: Unable to... and it was solved by deleting the "ghost file", but I can not detect the "ghost".  I am having the same issue in TestComplete and TestExecute softwares. It looks like a TC bug to me.

TC version 11.20.1491

Windows 7 Enterprise 

TE version 11.20.1491

Windows Server 2008

Does anybody have a solution for this issue?

Any halp is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

OlgaV
    9 years ago

Thank you Djadhav for your suggestion and screenshots,

I have fixed this issue the following way:

Pushed the latest version of my TC project to GitHub, then cloned that repository into a different folder on my PC and opened the pjs file from there. Did the same thing for TestExecute. Works now.

6 Replies

NisHera
    Valued Contributor

Just open Test Complete without loading any project

Go to your folder in windows explore and project file i.e. ProjectName.mds file double click

what will happen?

OlgaV
      Occasional Contributor

Thank you, NisHera.

The same error message pops up..

To be able to work on the project, I had to copy all the projects and paste them into the folder one level up. It works for me for now, but it can not be a solution, because I am never sure if it saves my progress into all the right files.

NisHera
        Valued Contributor

Where is you pjs (project suit ) file?

back it up and re-name or place it somewhere else.

place project files where ever you would like.

create a new project suite and include your projects.

open new project suite.