Forum Discussion

maximojo
Frequent Contributor
10 years ago
Solved

TestComplete support for app built with MFC and VS 2008/2013

Hi all,

I am investigating automated test solutions to test our windows application built with native  C++, Microsoft Foundation Classes (MFC) and Visual Studio 2008 (soon to be upgraded to Visual Studio 2013).

I’m not quite sure if TestComplete would support testing our app. I see reference to supporting MFC controls but is that the same thing? I think it is but just wanted to be sure :)

Thanks for any help!

• Hi Mark, 

We haven't bothered creating a seperate build configuration specifically for TestComplete. The builds I test are the builds the customer will receive so they are release builds with no debug or run-time type info. 

I've yet to see see an object that TestComplete can't recognise but as Jose said, the best way to find out is to install the trial and give it a go, good luck!

Thanks,

Steven

6 Replies

jose_pita
    Super Contributor
    You can try the trial for 30 days and see how it recognizes the objects in your app...

Nothing like a hands-on to try things out!

If you have problems accessing the objects, reach out to the support team or post here your questions, they'll be answered quite fast...
  • Our software is written using MFC and I've had no problems using TestComplete. I've yet to come across any objects that it couldn't recognise. 

I had a few issues with OLE objects when upgrading from VS 2005 to VS 2010 and then again when upgrading to VS 2012 but nothing major and it could have been avoided entirely with a little foresight by myself. 
  • Hi Mark, 

We haven't bothered creating a seperate build configuration specifically for TestComplete. The builds I test are the builds the customer will receive so they are release builds with no debug or run-time type info. 

I've yet to see see an object that TestComplete can't recognise but as Jose said, the best way to find out is to install the trial and give it a go, good luck!

Thanks,

Steven
    maximojo
    Frequent Contributor
    Great! That's exactly what I wanted to know (though I realize my situation may not be quite the same).

Thanks for that Steven! I will start evaluating TC very soon.

maximojo
    Frequent Contributor

Thanks Jose!

I will probably start an evaluation in a few weeks but was just curious if someone knew right away that it would work or not or there were caveats with MFC, etc.

So if anyone has had any experience with MFC, VS, etc please let me know.