Forum Discussion

CDurkin
Contributor
13 years ago

System Call Failed

I'm getting a "System Call Failed" error happen in a test which is testing some string functions.  The test is the same and totally repeatable, however the error does not occur every single time.  When it does occur the error seems to happen on one of two lines either:

while (i < aqString.GetLength(value)) {

or 

ch = aqString.GetChar(value, i);

The test involved iterating through a list of about 200 random strings in a excel file and making them safe to pass into a sql statement, I tried to Log statements in before each of the line, to work out which string was causing the error, however the problem seems to dissapear then, and did not repear until I took out the Log.Messages.

Sorry I could not get a good replicate for the error, but it does not seem to be a consistantly replicatable error.

I am using TestComplete Version 8.50.618.7, on XP Pro Service Pack 3

4 Replies

HKosova
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    Hi Chris,

First of all, I recommend that you upgrade TestComplete to the latest version - 8.60 - as the problem could be fixed in it.

If you cannot upgrade for some reason, or if the problem still occurs with the latest TestComplete version, please follow the steps below to help track down the problem:

1. Download AQtime Standard, which is our free profiling tool, from our web site:

http://downloads.smartbear.com/AQtimeStdx86.exe

2. Install the tool.

3. Start AQtime with the -NotOpenApp command-line argument. For example, you can use the following command line:

"C:\Program Files\SmartBear\AQtime 7\Bin\AQtime.exe" -NotOpenApp

4. Select the File | New Project From Module... main menu item.

5. In the Open File dialog, select the TestComplete.exe file and click Open.

6. Take a look at the AQtime toolbar - there is a combo box with a list of profilers. Open it and select Tracing | Exception Trace Profiler.

7. Select the Options | Options... main menu command - the Options dialog will appear.

8. Select the Profiling Time | Event View | General category.

9. Under the Debug Events group, select the Generate dump on exception check box and specify the Dump folder.

10. Under the Exceptions group, set Depth shown to 100. Close the Options dialog.

11. Click the Run toolbar button (the green arrow) or press F5 to start the profiling.

AQtime will start TestComplete and trace all exceptions that will occur in the application until it is closed.

12. Reproduce the problem in TestComplete (e.g. run your test until the problem occurs).

13. After the problem occurs, right-click somewhere within the Event View panel (it is opened by default at the bottom of AQtime's window) and select Save All....

14. Save the panel's contents to an HTML file.

15. Open a support ticket and send the Support Team the generated HTML file and the dump files.

Thanks in advance.
    anhvu
    Frequent Contributor

Is there any solution for this. I got this message a lot today.

I am using TC version 11.20.1491.7

I got the error message for the Project["Variables"][aiz]["Next"]();

may DB Table is an excel an it contains around 100 thoundsand lines.

After running around 30 minutes I got the error message.

joseph_michaud

Run through the instructions provided by Helen and open a support case.

If you're feeling adventurous, see if you can abstract out the relevant code into a simple test case.  (If you can, that will greatly increase the chances of getting a fix...)

HKosova
        SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

The current procedure for collecting error reports is as follows:

1. Run the Report Generator (<TestComplete>\Bin\ReportGenerator.exe).
        2. Select Launch/attach to TestComplete.
        3. Reproduce the error in TestComplete.
        4. In the Report Generator, click Generate and save the report.
        5. Open a support case, attach the report and provide a description of the problem.