We recently upgraded to Office 2016. When I went to run TestComplete, the test failed and it said that it was unable to connect to the data source, which would be the Excel spreadsheet.
Could anyone please point me in the right direction?
When you upgraded to 2016, you changed the drivers being used for reading the Excel files. So, what you had been referencing before as a data provider/driver no longer works.
Question: Are you using KeywordTests or Script code for accessing the excel data source?
Also, what version of TC are you using?
How exactly you are reading? Screenshot/code snippet/etc.
Verify something... what version of Office 2016 was installed? Was it the 32-bit version or the 64-bit version? The reason I ask is that TC 12.31 is still a 32-bit version application and can only see 32-bit drivers. If the Office upgrade removed the 32-bit drivers, then TC may not be able to access them.
Additionally, there are some windows/office updates out there that deprecated some of the old drivers of Excel. This actually "broke" some users of TC 12.40 (the 64-bit version of TC). It's possible that your recent upgrade of Office 2016 implemented the same patches that broke the drivers in later version of TC. In that case, I think that you will need to upgrade TC to the latest version in order to be able to access the information. This would be the case, also, with the 32-bit drivers as mentioned above.
Try upgrading a single machine to the latest version of TC (should be a free upgrade if your support contract is current) and see if that fixes the problem.