Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Office 2016 upgrade - TC no longer connects to Excel datafeed

kevinkleint
Contributor

Office 2016 upgrade - TC no longer connects to Excel datafeed

Hi!

We recently upgraded to Office 2016. When I went to run TestComplete, the test failed and it said that it was unable to connect to the data source, which would be the Excel spreadsheet.

Could anyone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Kevin Kleint

12 REPLIES 12
tristaanogre
Community Hero

Re: Office 2016 upgrade - TC no longer connects to Excel datafeed

When you upgraded to 2016, you changed the drivers being used for reading the Excel files.  So, what you had been referencing before as a data provider/driver no longer works.

Question: Are you using KeywordTests or Script code for accessing the excel data source?

Robert Martin
[Hall of Fame]
Please consider giving a Kudo if I write good stuff
----

Why automate?  I do automated testing because there's only so much a human being can do and remain healthy.  Sleep is a requirement.  So, while people sleep, automation that I create does what I've described above in order to make sure that nothing gets past the final defense of the testing group.
I love good food, good books, good friends, and good fun.

Mysterious Gremlin Master
Vegas Thrill Rider
Extensions available
tristaanogre
Community Hero

Also, what version of TC are you using?

Robert Martin
[Hall of Fame]
----

Why automate?  I do automated testing because there's only so much a human being can do and remain healthy.  Sleep is a requirement.  So, while people sleep, automation that I create does what I've described above in order to make sure that nothing gets past the final defense of the testing group.

Vegas Thrill Rider
Extensions available
kevinkleint
Contributor

I'm currently using version 12.31.1833.7

kevinkleint
Contributor

I access the spreadsheet through Keyword testing. But I use scripting to write to Excel.

Marsha_R
Community Hero

Which part is failing - reading from Excel, writing to Excel, or both?

kevinkleint
Contributor

Reading from Excel fails ...

AlexKaras
Community Hero

Hi,

How exactly you are reading? Screenshot/code snippet/etc.

Regards,
  /Alex [Community Hero]
____
[Community Heroes] are not employed by SmartBear Software but
are just volunteers who have some experience with the tools by SmartBear Software
and a desire to help others. Posts made by [Community Heroes]
may differ from the official policies of SmartBear Software and should be treated
as the own private opinion of their authors and under no circumstances as an
official answer from SmartBear Software.
The [Community Hero] signature is used with permission by SmartBear Software.
https://community.smartbear.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/hall-of-fame
================================
kevinkleint
Contributor

I'm attempting to access data on a spreadsheet from a data-driven loop? There's really no code being used thus far in the process. Please let me know if you need anything else.

Thx,

Kevin

tristaanogre
Community Hero

Verify something... what version of Office 2016 was installed?  Was it the 32-bit version or the 64-bit version?  The reason I ask is that TC 12.31 is still a 32-bit version application and can only see 32-bit drivers.  If the Office upgrade removed the 32-bit drivers, then TC may not be able to access them.

Additionally, there are some windows/office updates out there that deprecated some of the old drivers of Excel. This actually "broke" some users of TC 12.40 (the 64-bit version of TC).  It's possible that your recent upgrade of Office 2016 implemented the same patches that broke the drivers in later version of TC.  In that case, I think that you will need to upgrade TC to the latest version in order to be able to access the information.  This would be the case, also, with the 32-bit drivers as mentioned above.

Try upgrading a single machine to the latest version of TC (should be a free upgrade if your support contract is current) and see if that fixes the problem.

Robert Martin
[Hall of Fame]
----

Vegas Thrill Rider
Extensions available
New Here?
Join us and watch the welcome video:
Announcements
Top Kudoed Authors