Forum Discussion

azwip
Occasional Contributor
8 years ago

No Log File - No Results????

Am running TC12 now, but even when running TC11... same issue.  I have suite of tests that run well over 8 hours...

So I kick 'em off... watch them running for a few hours... they are still running when I leave for the night..,.

come in in the morning... see the App Under Test is still up... but... TestComplete is NOT up.  So, I bring it up... no log, no results no anything... like it never ran???

This happens... frequently now in the past 2-3 months... more often than not.

I have no idea how the tests ran and need to re-run again, sometimes several times or in "Chunks" if you will.

Basically I kick them off as a project.... containing about 80 tests.

Any help appreciated.

Ron

6 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

If you are using the /silentmode switch in command line (I'm assuming you're running via command line), then there is a "silent log".  Check <System_Drive>:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\SmartBear\TestComplete\12 to see what shows up.

Also, do you have your testcomplete/testexecute configuration set up to auto-save logs? If not, I would do so.  This could give you some back up of the test log so that, even if TestComplete crashes for some reason, you'll get a test log up to that point.

azwip
      Occasional Contributor

Hi Robert, thanks for the assist...

I'm not running in command line mode.... I am using the Green "Play" button to run my suite/project.

I do have Auto Save on, but nothing is being saved, from what I can tell.

tristaanogre
        Esteemed Contributor

Go check in the logs folder and see if there is anything showing up out there.  While the project might not display it, the log file MIGHT be present.  If TestComplete is crashing at some point, it might not be updating the tcLogs file which is the link between the MDS and the individual log files.

• Hi Azwip,

I have been facing the same from quite some time. 

Most likely this a crash occuring because of memory issues. If you find the dumps (.dmp file) at the following location, it is a crash.

C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Local\SmartBear\TestComplete\<TC Ver>\Logs

Try reducing number of tests that run as a suite. Eg. You mentioned 80, split it 40-40 or even less. I know this is an overhead but thats how it is working for me.

Regards

Osaid

azwip
      Occasional Contributor

Hello Osaid, there is in deed DMP file in that folder... I'll try to run the suite in half etc.

Thanks!

Will keep ya'll posted.

Ron

tristaanogre
        Esteemed Contributor

One of the things that can blow up the memory of an automated test suite is the amount of data being written to log files.  A lot of that is kept in memory until it is written out to file.  So, if you are logging a lot of informational messages (Log.Message) that are simply that, informational, and are not serving any actual validation purpose, you might want to consider suppressing that logging.  Also, locking down events can help with that as well.

Also, depending upon the script language you're using, there may be garbage collecting in the way of undisposed of objects that you might want to double check on.  Some languages do this automatically... others you need to be a bit more deliberate in freeing up objects.

Just some things to consider regarding your test suite.