cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MS Excel as a TestComplete application? Can Excel be used as an application in TestComplete?

New Contributor

MS Excel as a TestComplete application? Can Excel be used as an application in TestComplete?

Hi there!

As a TestComplete rookie I'm unsure if MS Excel can be added as an application in TestComplete (and, if possible, as what kind of application?) and subsequently launched from the TestComplete interface in order to record test cases in MS Excel?

Or is it only possible for TestComplete to collaborate with MS Excel through Data-Driven Testing?

I've also heard about an alleged add-in which should enable comparison of Excel sheets in TestComplete?

All input are happily received!

Thank you in advance

2 REPLIES 2
Community Hero

Re: MS Excel as a TestComplete application? Can Excel be used as an application in TestComplete?

TestComplete can TECHNICALLY work with any application.  So, yes, you can "Test" Excel via TestComplete.  When TestComplete prompts for the "type" of application, simply select Generic Windows application.  

And yes, there are script extensions available for comparing Excel sheets.

Here's one link:

https://support.smartbear.com/viewarticle/42199/

And here's another:

https://support.smartbear.com/viewarticle/9046/

Robert Martin
[Community Expert Group]
Please consider giving a Kudo if I write good stuff
----

Why automate?  I do automated testing because there's only so much a human being can do and remain healthy.  Sleep is a requirement.  So, while people sleep, automation that I create does what I've described above in order to make sure that nothing gets past the final defense of the testing group.
I love good food, good books, good friends, and good fun.

Mysterious Gremlin Master
Extensions available
Community Hero

Re: MS Excel as a TestComplete application? Can Excel be used as an application in TestComplete?

As a TestComplete rookie I'm unsure if MS Excel can be added as an application in TestComplete (and, if possible, as what kind of application?) and subsequently launched from the TestComplete interface in order to record test cases in MS Excel?

Did you try it?  That's the quickest way to find things out about TestComplete.  If you don't get the results you expect, let us know what happened and we can help from there.  

New Here?
Join us and watch the welcome video: