Forum Discussion

mpourali
Occasional Contributor
8 years ago

How / were (or what tools) do you write the Manual tests, since it was depricated in 2016?

Seems that users were able to write the Manual tests (for difficult / too Complex / cannot complete now) in earlier version of TestComplete. What tools people are using now, so it can be automated (and exported to the Test Complete). It seems that MS Excel is one choice. Any other ideas?

Thanks

3 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

I've used Excel, CSV, and SQL data to import test steps into TestComplete.  Note, however, that TestComplete out of the box can't read "plain language" test steps and interpret them into automation tests.  So, you will need to make sure that any external source is written in a way that can be interpreted into data to be imported into some sort of automation framework AND that you have such a framework capable of doing that interpretation.

As for documentation of manual test cases... I've used Excel, JIRA, Word, and Visual Studio Test Management.  These are all good tools to use to document your manual tests.. the latter especially because you can actually track test runs, pass/fail, etc., and link them directly to project back logs, bugs, and other such things.

tristaanogre
      Esteemed Contributor

Note also that, since this is a SmartBear forum, I would be irresponsible in not mentioning QAComplete.  I've poked at earlier versions of QAComplete in the past and what I've seen is pretty darn cool. I haven't used it in an actual "real world" situation but this might also be useful for managing manual test cases.

shankar_r
    Community Hero

Hi,

As far as i know, you can use text, excel and etc,. whatever you want using below Steps.

1) Keep ready you test case details in text or excel or others.

2) You have to crate functions that can implement and return the individual test case details from your source.

3) Refer this article https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/testing-with/deprecated/manual/creating-from-scripts.html to create a Manual test case using scripting.

However, If you want to maintain Manual test cases, it's run status, Bug related to that test case and etc,. you may comfortable with Test Management tools as tristaanogre said and noted.