Forum Discussion

william_roe
Super Contributor
9 years ago

Moving Objects in the Mapped Objects Editor

Can objects be moved in the Mapped Objects editor and if so are the changes automatically reflected in the Alias editor?  For example if  control(s) unders 'Panel2' where moved to another panel could they be dragged there in the Mapped Objects editor and the changes reflected in the name mapping and therefore in the keyword tests. Otherwise everytime a field is moved and re-mapped an orphan is created. Our application is going through a UI change right now and would prefer to not remap every field throughout the tests. The changes might be as single as adding a Section, Article, Panel or Cell.

NameMapping.Sys.browser.CribMaster.PrimaryWrapper.PrimaryContent.AuthorizePurchase.sectionActionwrapper.sectionActioncontent.panel.Form.tableSplresizing.cell2.panelSplresizing0Cc.article.tableGridviewAuthorizepurchase.cell.panel2

And please don't recommend Extended Find.

1 Reply

AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3

Hi William,

According to my experience - yes, mapped objects can be moved around within the NameMapping tree and this moving does not change the structure of the Aliases tree.

Considering the above fact, it is my opinion that NameMapping must not be used in the test code but Aliases must be used instead. In this case NameMapping appears to be a translation table to map Aliases tree structure to the physical UI layout and in case UI is changed, only NameMapping (i.e. - translation table) must be corrected to restore test code.

P.S. As usual - backup of NameMapping file before significant corrections is a good idea :)