Forum Discussion

AlexKaras
Champion Level 3
13 years ago

Connect to remote TestComplete instance - did anyone tried this?

Hi,

The story is like this: there is an instance of TestComplete running on remote machine within the Remote Desktop session. Did anyone tried to connect to such running instance? The final goal is to check whether TestComplete is idle or running tests (using .Integration.IsRunning property).

(Simple (VBScript) CreateObject("TestComplete.TestCompleteApplication", cTargetServer) just starts another TestComplete instance in the target computer's local session, but not connects to the running instance.)

5 Replies

• Hi Alexei,

I have found that you can make this work after setting the interactive user as an identity for the TestComplete Manager DCOM object on the target machine.

1. Run the Component Services utility (Start | Run... | dcomcnfg.exe).

2. Expand the 'Console Root | Component Services | Computers | My Computer | DCOM Config' node.

3. Find the 'TestComplete Manager' item corresponding to TestComplete 8 - select the Properties from the context menu and make sure that Application ID is {3F2BC7C3-2F5B-429F-BA68-948871F2838E}.

4. In the 'TestComplete Manager Properties' dialog, open the Identity tab and select the 'The interactive user.' option.

5. Apply the changes and check whether you can connect to TestComplete remotely.

Please let me know your results.
    AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3
    Hi David,

Thank you a lot for your investigation!

> 3. Find the 'TestComplete Manager' item corresponding to TestComplete 8 - select the Properties from the context menu and make sure that Application ID is {3F2BC7C3-2F5B-429F-BA68-948871F2838E}.

Can you let me know the AppID for TC7?
    AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3
    Just to update the community:

There was a problem with finding AppIDs and GUIDs mentioned by David on 64-bit systems. In order to find them, Component Services should be started using this command:

mmc comexp.msc /32

Thank you a lot, David, for your help.
  • Hi Alexei,

I have found that it still doesn't  work after setting the interactive user as an identity for the TestComplete Manager DCOM object on the winodws 8 target machine.The error message  as following:

Unable to start a DCOM Server: {AFE6888D-8948-4C6E-B3C2-75AE7EE4A7A5} as Unavailable/Unavailable. The error:

"740"

Happened while starting this command:

C:\Program Files (x86)\SmartBear\TestExecute 9\Bin\TestExecute.exe -Embedding