cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Testing On Screen Touch actions on a desktop

Contributor

Testing On Screen Touch actions on a desktop

Hi All,

I wanted to check if there is a way i can perform a touch action on an object (in a desktop application with no mobile plugin).

I have an embadded software application which uses both mouse click  and touch screen operations. 

For example,

If there is a popup menu, the user can either left mouse click on the OK button or can touch on the OK button on the screen to select it. 

Can this touch on OK button be automated?

Thanks,

Nimith

3 REPLIES 3
Community Hero

Re: Testing On Screen Touch actions on a desktop

As far as I know a touch on windows is nothing more than a click at the point the finger would touch the screen. Therefore using click I belive is testing the same behavior. 

Thanks,
Carson

Click the Accept as Solution button if my answer has helped
Contributor

Thank you Carson! 

I too had the same thoughts but my team wanted to know if the click action triggers an event and for some reason the touch did not trigger the same event, how can that be verified using automation.

Highlighted
Community Hero

For Desktops, I don't believe you can.  This is one of those things that, perhaps, is not a candidate for automation. Generally speaking, the only difference between touch and click on a desktop/laptop machine is the hardware drivers.  The effect on the application is the same.  

Currently, only Mobile applications in TC support the "Touch" action. So, you'll have to do that test manually for now.

Robert Martin
[Community Expert Group]
Please consider giving a Kudo if I write good stuff
----

Why automate?  I do automated testing because there's only so much a human being can do and remain healthy.  Sleep is a requirement.  So, while people sleep, automation that I create does what I've described above in order to make sure that nothing gets past the final defense of the testing group.
I love good food, good books, good friends, and good fun.

Mysterious Gremlin Master
Extensions available
New Here?
Join us and watch the welcome video:
API Testing Mistake #2
APITestingMistake#2
Top Kudoed Authors