Forum Discussion

Capricornus
Contributor
7 years ago
Solved

Tested application does not write ist own log when tested with TestComplete

Hello everyone,

the application I want to test with Test Complete normally writes text log files to C:\ProgramData\... when I am working with it. But when i run Keyword Tests with Test Complete, no log entries are written.

Could anybody help me, this seems very strange to me; I thought the application works same, whether running with TC or manually...

Thanks in advance :)

• Hello everyone,

thank you for your replies; I found the reason of the problem: It had nothing to do with TC: Another application is stealing the log if I call a particular function in my application, even if I do it manually.

Sorry for the confusion.

5 Replies

• Hello everyone,

thank you for your replies; I found the reason of the problem: It had nothing to do with TC: Another application is stealing the log if I call a particular function in my application, even if I do it manually.

Sorry for the confusion.

cunderw
    Community Hero

When you launch the app outside of test complete, how is it done? A shortcut, a command, a batch file? 

Sounds to me like your application, when launched normally has some kind of flag tacked onto it's shortcut / command to enable the logging.  Something like -log or -debug

You can add parameters like that to your tested app.

Without more information though not sure where to point you.

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

That is a bit odd... however, it might have to do with how you're running TC.  I THINK that folder is typically protected... so, if you're not running TC as an administrator or someone with proper access, your application which is run in that context might not be able to write to the log folder.

Marsha_R
      Champion Level 3

I wouldn't put it in TestComplete's log folder anyway.  Keep your app's files separate.  Try creating a \AppLog folder of your own and see if you can write to that.