Forum Discussion

eliEli
New Contributor
7 years ago

How can I attach to a process in testComplete?

How can I attach to a process without AQTime?

3 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

What do you mean "attach to a process"? What are you intending to do? What is the end goal? What are you trying to measure?

If you're looking at doing application profiling within TestComplete without using AQTime... not possible without writing a LOT of custom code and even that is not going to expose the internals and such that are available to AQTime.

Explain more what you are hoping to achieve but, if you are trying to replicate AQTime in TestComplete without using AQTime, I'm guessing that this is not going to be possible.

eliEli
    New Contributor

Thanks for your reply. I am new in TestComplete  but I have done a lot of test automation using other automated testing tools. I am doing a Proof of Concept for TestComplete  now.

By attach to a process I mean that attach to the application under test. TestComplete's default behavior is to automatically start the application you want to test, and to terminate the application once the test case is finished. But I am looking for a way that gives me this opportunity to test an already running application by attaching to it. Using this method, at the end of the test case, TestComplete does not terminate the application it attached to.

tristaanogre
      Esteemed Contributor

TestComplete, unless you tell it to, will not auto-launch the AUT and auto-close it.  If the application under test is running when a script starts, there's nothing special needed for TC to interact with it... so, there's really no concept of "attaching" to the process.  When you recorded your test, if you included the execution of the application and the closing of the application while you recorded, they are part of your recording.  You can remove those if you want.