cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Tale Of Two Slaves

SOLVED
Highlighted
Staff

Re: A Tale Of Two Slaves

@GradyJr not sure if this will be the fix, but in the remote environment where you are running TestExecute thorugh network suite, could you try going to the file location where testexecute.exe is located, and give it elevated permissions by going rightclick-properties-compatibility-run this program as an administrator?

 

just grasping at straws here but it's an idea Smiley Happy

Best,
Justin Kim
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: A Tale Of Two Slaves

This sounds promising. I will give it a try and let you know.

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: A Tale Of Two Slaves

In one of my last posts I on this topic I wrote:

 

"In order to troubleshoot this issue we installed a copy of TestComplete on the remote system where TestExecute was already installed. When I change the remote application on the Network Suite | Jobs to TestComplete, it runs fine."

 

It ran fine as long as it was the only one I was running remotely.  as soon as I started running my network suite job that kicks off two simultaneously, it behaved just like it did when pointing to TestExecute. The first slave computer (pointing to TestExecute) ran smoothly but the second one (now pointing to TestComplete) couldn't even find the UserID name mapping again and just sat there waiting and waiting despite the fact that the UserID textbox was sitting right there on the screen. It was great that we were finally able to see two remote slave screens side by side from our master server and both of them "seemingly" running TestSomething (Execute/Complete) but why can't both of them run their project suites?

 

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times"

 

 

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: A Tale Of Two Slaves

Justin,

 

I will give that a try, however, both of the TestExecutes on each of the two slaves were installed at the exact same time and in the exact same manner and the one running on the first slave doesn't have any issues. Thanks for the suggestion. i will let you know if it does or doesn't have any impact.

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: A Tale Of Two Slaves

I think I figured out why the testcomplete wasn't working on the second slave and, if my upcoming test proves my theory, then it was my own silly mistake.

 

We have six individual projects suites where the tests reside and then one that is set up to control the network suite. I had set up three of the individual projects to run on slave host 1 and the other three to run on slave host 2. Initially both slave hosts had TestExecute installed and licensed and all six projects were pointing to test execute both inside the NetworkSuite on their individual projects and on the Network/Control project. The highlights on the attached image shows where I made my mistake. I changed three of the individual projects to point to TestComplete and it worked because I was doing the test from inside each individual test projects's network suite but I failed to change them on the Network Control project so my test last night was still using TestExecute for those three projects. I've corrected that now and I'm preparing to truly see if the name mapping issue is gone by pointing to TestComplete.

 

However, there will still be the issue for which I opened this thread as to why (if testcomplete can but testexecute cannot) seem to find the name mapping for the userid textboxes on the second slave host

Contributor

Re: A Tale Of Two Slaves

I'm happy to announce that I currently have two individual projects running simultaneously and initiated via the Network Suite of my master/control project. 

 

However, I've also noticed now that on the slave that is still running TestExecute I am seeing an error in the log that it still cannot find the UserID textbox BUT when the wait for finding it has expired and it switches to looking for the password text box, it immediately puts the UserID in the UserID textbox and the Password into the password textbox and starts clicking the login and main menu buttons (see attached image showing the error followed by the two text field entries). What's causing that???

 

Then there's still the question of why did it take running TestComplete on the other slave to get this to work at all?

 

Also, I'm pretty sure I took all the steps suggested by Marsha_R for getting rid of the MS Store app but it still popped up on the slave host running test execute. I will double check once my currently running  test completes to make sure I did everything. 

 

It will be interesting to see if the slave host running TestComplete is able to process the double click actions that i reported in a separat post. I know for certain they fail when being run on TestExecute but the current test will have some double clicks on the TestComplete slave by the time it finishes. I'll keep you posted.

 

 

Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: A Tale Of Two Slaves

@GradyJr thank you so much for sharing the details with us. This is greatly appreciated.

 

Do keep us postedSmiley Happy


Sonya Mihaljova
Community and Education Specialist

 Join the virtual SmartBear Connect user conference on April 27-28! Get your free virtual ticket today!
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: A Tale Of Two Slaves

I turned this over to a colleague of mine and he seems to have it working by 

 

1. Eliminating the network suite of the project we had set up as sort of a central "traffic cop" for defining jobs and tasks and just running the project suites themselves individually

 

2. Using the CopyProjectToSlave method rather than having the files already on the slave machine.

 

I'm not sure if it's one or the other or a combination of both but it also seems to have resolved the issue i brought up in a different post about he double clicks (DblClick) not working. 

 

 

View solution in original post