Forum Discussion

groovyguy
Champion Level 1
7 years ago

ReadyAPI 2.0?

So has anyone gotten a chance to use it yet? What are your thoughts so far? I'm in the middle of preparing for a huge series of testing so I haven't upgraded yet. 

21 Replies

Debz
    Contributor
    I haven't tried it yet but from what I saw during the webinar (the 2.0 demo), the Tiles for the UI looks really nice for viewing your test results. My concern at the moment though is will the replacement of "Data Gen" into "Data Generator" largely affect our exisisting Data Gen steps. I've already downloaded it but I haven't tried loading our project into it. Maybe on Monday when I get back to work.
      groovyguy
      Champion Level 1

I wanted to attend the webinar but ended up in meetings and tied up with delivery work. I wonder if it's online as a recording. I'll have to check that out.

I'm holding off until after things slow down a bit. I am eager to see all the differences and improvements. 

Radford
        Super Contributor

groovyguy, personally I only tend to upgrade if there is new functionality or fixes I actually need, as I've found it quite a time consuming process to regression test all of our tests with a new version (if it ain't broke, don't fix it.), but saying that I usually do download and give it a try and always keep an eye on the forums for any comments/issues.

Debz, The comment about deprecating the The DataGen test step in favour of the Data Generator data source of the DataSource test step concerns me as well. We primarily use the DataGen test step with script type properties, thus we can collect together a number of related properties each generated by it's own independent Groovy script. It does not seem that there is a direct replacement for the DataGen script type property. Also I would like to understand what SmartBear mean by "Deprecated"? Is it still usable? Will it be removed in a future version? I would be interested in hearing what other people think.

jhettich
    New Contributor

I have rolled back to Ready!API 1.9, due to bugs.

I installed 2.0 last Friday and over the course of this week, discovered that most changes I made to existing test steps were fine, till I closed the application. When reopened, the changes reverted back to how the data was before I did the edits.

The only work around I could find, was to clone the test step I wanted to edit, edit the test step, then delete the original test step. It is a pain in the neck!

I rolled back to 1.9, and my edits save correctly again. I have submitted it as a bug to SmartBear, but have not heard back yet.

MFagerlind
      Staff

Hi jhettic,

Thanks for reporting this!

We've isolated the problem with some test step changes not getting saved properly, and a fix has been added to the latest maintenance build, which can be downloaded from this page: https://support.smartbear.com/downloads/readyapi/nightly-builds/

Even though the URL includes the somewhat scary word "nightly builds", these builds are actually pretty stable, not cutting edge. The maintenance builds are very similar to the latest release builds but with some bug fixes.

If you're unable to use the maintenance build (maybe due to a company policy etc) but still want to try 2.0 before the next release, where this fix will obviously be included, a simpler workaround than the one you tried is to rename the test step you modified before saving. Most changes generally will make Ready! API realise that it needs to save the project.

Sorry for the inconvenience! 

Kind regards,

Manne, Ready! API developer

jhettich
        New Contributor

Thank you, Manne. I will stick with 1.9 till a new release. I have worked in QA long enough to know that nightly builds can be hit or miss, nothing personal.

Sincerely,

Jane

TanyaYatskovska
      SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi Jane,

Sorry to hear that you've faced the issues when using Ready! API 2.0.

I believe our Support Team will do their best to help you overcome the issue so that you could move to the latest product version! I know that they are locating your message at the moment in our DB.

Ready! API 2.0 has a lot of new features - the new Dashboard is the only one of them. @Community, what do you think about the new dashboard?

Debz
        Contributor

Hi Tanya, I installed it today. I love the Dashboard's new charts so I've told our client to upgrade from 1.8 to 2.0 after I attended the webinar about 2.0. However, I've seen several pop-ups telling me that some files cannot be created today:

• plugins\ready-api-git-plugin-1.10.jar
        • plugins\ready-jira-plugin-1.10-dist.jar
        • plugins\ready-mqtt-plugin-dist.jar
        • plugins\ready-uxm-plugin-1.0.jar

I'm not sure though if this is just because I have SoapUI Open Source installed along with Ready!API 2.0 trial. I just hope someone does a Jenkins plugin that will generate similar reports(like in Dashboard) and a pie chart. If there already is, let me know. We've been looking for one for months LOL. It's really nice that this can be directly integrated at Jira via the plugin so that you can immediately file issues.

By the way, Native Look and Feel option also vanished. I'm not sure though how drastic the effect can be. I just noticed it after 2 users posted issues on requests and responses being converted to weird characters. You may refer to the images I posted here: https://community.smartbear.com/t5/SoapUI-NG/invaild-chars-in-request-body/m-p/142514#M32058

jhettich
      New Contributor

I just wanted to add an update to this. Customer Service has been able to replicate the issue I found and they are working on it. In the mean time, I personally do not recommend doing work that changes tests while in 2.0. I have 16+ hours of data changes that were lost before I realized there was a bug saving my changes.

1.9 does save correctly and does not have this issue. I would stick with 1.9 till a patch comes out.