Forum Discussion

Tom_Arn
Contributor
17 years ago

Secure project files

In the project files you can store username and passwords to access the webservice. Therefore it would be good, if the project file could be secured by a password.

A password secured project file should be encrypted and access to the file should only be granted upon entering the correct (master) password.

Another aspect to think about is the password needed to access the key store for SSL calls. I don't know if and where that password is stored, but this password should of course also be secured.

Tom

8 Replies

omatzura
    Super Contributor
    Hi Tom,

yes, you are not the first to request this.. this is of course coming up in a future version..

regards!

/Ole
    eviware.com
  • Yes,

it's a very good idea. One might even consider encrypting the contents of certain elements, not encrypting the entire file.

Then we would have the structure of the project file intact and it would be very WS-Security.
    omatzura
    Super Contributor
    Hi Tom,

we have had some discussions regarding this.. we could pretty easily add PBE for the entire project-file.. would that be an ok start?

regards!

/Ole
    eviware.com
    omatzura
    Super Contributor
    hehe.. sorry.. Password Based Encryption.. ie a password is used to encyrypt/decrypt the file contents..

regards,

/Ole
    eviware.com
  • Yes, that would be fine for me.

How about the passwords in the soapui-settings.xml file?

Tom
    omatzura
    Super Contributor
    hmm... well, we would have to encrypt that too.. so you would get a password prompt each time when you start soapUI Pro..

and we would of course need to add corresponding options to the command-line tools..

ok?

/Ole
    eviware.com
  • That's fine for me.

I suggest making this master password an option. Once it is set, you'll have to enter the password every time soapui starts. If you don't want this, just leave the password blank and everything stays as it is now.

Tom