Forum Discussion

mogranovitch
Occasional Contributor
2 years ago

Memory problems with 3.40.0

Started having problems with ReadyAPI 3.40.0 after update to this version:

• Application shut down a few times without saving
  • Cannot save the project: "Java heap space" error
  • Complain while running project asking to increase Xmx in the ReadyAPI.vmoptions file. Current values there are:
    • -XX:MinHeapFreeRatio=20
      -XX:MaxHeapFreeRatio=40
      -Xms128m
      -Xmx1024m

9 Replies

PaulV
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

mogranovitch JoostDG It's a known issue introduced in 3.40.0 , the 95% memory used Error is a false positive. A quick workaround is to increase the default Xms128m to have the same value as your Xmx.

i.e. :

-Xms1024m
    -Xmx1024m

or

-Xms8000m
    -Xmx8000m

depending on your available resources. Keep in mind that if you are running performance tests 2048m is the minimum amount recommended. 

Sorry for the inconvenience, a patch version will be released shortly.

Disclaimer: I'm part of the ReadyAPI team.

mlsantander2022
      New Contributor

Thanks PaulV,

I got same issue today "More than 95% of the Java heap memory is being used. The test results may be impacted. It is recommended that you increase the value of the VM option -Xmx or -XX:MaxHeapSize in the file ReadyAPI.vmoptions.", the tool eat a lot of memory - cause another Apps can not runnning if I setup as below:

-Xms8000m
      -Xmx8000m

So changed to:

-Xms1024m
      -Xmx1024m

It is working ok, BUT we expected new patch version with the fixes! Thanks so much!

PaulV

You don't have to use just these two values 8000m or 1024m. 1024m could be a bit too small, you can set the memory limits according to your resources: 2000m, 3000m, etc... . As long as Xmx and Xms are equal you should be fine.

JoostDG
    Frequent Contributor

Ok, I am not the only one... I also get this: 

WARN: More than 80% of the Java heap memory is being used. It is recommended that you increase the value of the VM option -Xmx or -XX:MaxHeapSize in the file ReadyAPI.vmoptions.

ERROR: More than 95% of the Java heap memory is being used. The test results may be impacted. It is recommended that you increase the value of the VM option -Xmx or -XX:MaxHeapSize in the file ReadyAPI.vmoptions.

Still happens even when increasing -Xmx from 8000m to 16000m (I have 32GB RAM x64).

-XX:MinHeapFreeRatio=20
    -XX:MaxHeapFreeRatio=40
    -Xms128m
    -Xmx8000m

Weirdly, there is no information on the -XX:MaxHeapSize parameter on the official pages:

https://support.smartbear.com/readyapi/docs/configure/advanced/jvm-options.html#xmx

For now, looks like I need to revert to 3.30 ?

JoostDG
    Frequent Contributor

FYI a customer support ticket has been created: Case #00519173, awaiting SmartBear feedback.

JoostDG
    Frequent Contributor

Just a heads up that in newly release v.3.40.1 this issue has been solved! 👍

PaulV

Glad to hear that! Happy testing!