Forum Discussion

tgeliot
Contributor
8 years ago

How can I tell if Ready!API is running a test project, suite, case, or step? How far has it gotten?

When I sit down at a lab console that has Ready!API running, how can I tell if a project, test case, test suite, or test step is in the middle of executing?  How do I tell which one it is?  How do I tell how far it's gotten?

I see some inconsistent indicators, like green bars moving back and forth, but then sometimes I'll fire up a test suite, and it will run for a while and then have a big red "FAILED" progress bar, but one of the test cases will still have a green bar sliding back and forth.  What's going on there?

While we're on the topic, what will happen if I invoke a project, suite, case, or step, while some other test is running?  Will they run in parallel?  Will my later request be ignored, or queued?

I'm running Ready!API 1.8.0

5 Replies

SmartBearAmber
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

The Transaction Log tab is the best place to see how your tests are progressing. The individual steps in the transaction log will say Passed/Failed after execution and Unknown during execution. The progress bar at the top of the screen should be green and progress through completion of your test unless it has failed or been aborted, in which case it will turn red.

I have occasionally experienced a bug wherein the progress bar will blink as though a test is being executed even though it has been completed, but this is rare and can be resolved by restarting the application.

If you attempt to execute anything outside of a project/test suite/test case while it is being executed, it will result in the current operation being aborted.

tgeliot
      Contributor

Thanks for your reply.  I'd like to ask for a little clarification on this:

" execute anything outside of a project/test suite/test case while it is being executed"

I'm puzzled by the "outside of a ..." part.  For example, If I'm executing a test suite but then start execution of a step that's within that suite, will the execution of the suite be aborted, or will something else happen?

Thank you for your patience,

Topher

SmartBearAmber
        SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

In that case, the test case execution would be aborted.

• I'm going to elaborate to say that if I already know which particular item (project, test case, test suite, or test step) might be running, then drilling down to it and looking at the log can be helpful.  But if I don't know which is running, Ready!API isn't very helpful about telling me which is running.  It would be great if when a particular item is running, there was some very visible thing on the screen, no matter what else might be selected, that led me to know what is running.

Is there somewhere else that I should be submitting suggestions for enhancements, or is this it?