Forum Discussion

gmccord
Occasional Contributor
12 years ago

Write : custom script extension for logging

Hello all,

I would like to share with the TestComplete community a custom script extension which adds "new" message types and a hierarchical folder structure to the log. This is similar to some code I shared a few months back but it has been re-packaged as an extension - any script language can use it.

The highlights of this script extension are:

• Adds
    test result entries such as ‘Pass’, ‘Fail’, and ‘Warning’

• Adds
    run time debugging entries like ‘Bug’, ‘Assert’, ‘Debug’

• Test
    results organized by categories

• Support
    for all TestComplete programming languages

• Ability
    to follow test execution through an external debugger

• Works
    in TestComplete or Test Execute

Complete documentation has been prepared for it and I encourage anyone who wants to customize the layout and appearance of their logs to look at it. Even if you don't use what I have provided, it can be further customized to your needs or even provide insight into script extension mechanics.

There are no custom libraries here - its all Javascript - and its free.

You can read more about it on my TestComplete blog or download directly from here.

2 Replies

gmccord
    Occasional Contributor
    I've been using this type of logging for 6 years now, ever since we purchased TestComplete 6.0.

These days, I have 25 machines running it and if anyone has an issue - its _really_ easy to figure out where, when and how a problem occurred.

If there is any interest, I can port this for use with Keyword testing. However, I rarely use Keyword testing so I don't know the demand for advanced logging capabilities in that interface.