Forum Discussion

lakmal_nj
New Contributor
10 years ago

Windows form coudn't identify by TestComplete

Hi,

I've download the testcomple tool and try to automate one of our test.

My applicattion is windows desktop based written using C# and there are no no custom control.

But testcomple coudn't identify any of the object(including a main windows form) when I tried to use checkpint wizard.When my application is opened, it couldn't identfy all the objects including main window(attached)

I've attched screenshot hererwith.

Please let me know your suggestion about this

thanks

7 Replies

TanyaYatskovska
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    Hi Flashmark,

It sounds like the Desktop module isn't activated on your machine. Please make sure that all extensions under the Desktop branch are enabled in File | Install Extensions... like here:

lakmal_nj
    New Contributor
    Hi,

All the extension installed properly.

Testcomplete coudn't identfy only my application.All the other windows application it identfied without any problem.

Could this happens due to development method(The way our developers developed)?

Greatly apprecitae your support

hautzenroeder1
    Occasional Contributor
    I have run into simular situations where I could not get the property of an object.

In those cases, I would record a script by manually performing the sequence I want, save it, then:

1. Play the script back to see if it works.

2. If Step 1 works, then I inspect the resulting code to see if the code needs to be refactored to make it more robust.

If Step 1 doesn't work, then I would go back to the developer and lecture him or her on the need to write software in such a way as to make it testable.

darshan_gandhi
    Occasional Contributor
    Try recording the steps that you want to perform and check in NameMapping file whether the objects are being added there or not.

Also please check in "Object Browser" if the application is shown there or not. If its showed there, then I dont see any issue identifying the objects of the application.

Cheers,

Darshan
    lakmal_nj
    New Contributor
    Thanks for the reply.

No objects were found in NameMapping file and in the object explorer :(

My application doesn't recognize by TestComplte not only the objects.

Process filter was set to "Use all processes" (I didn't do any changes to default installation)

@John Hautzenroeder Could you please explain below?How they need to develop it?

"Need to write software in such a way as to make it testable."

thanks

TanyaYatskovska
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    Hi Flashmark,

What application are you testing (.NET, VCL, etc.)? 

To make TestComplete properly recognize your tested application, you may need to perform some additional actions. Please refer to the "About Open Applications" article for details.