Forum Discussion

nadine_parmelee
New Contributor
11 years ago

Use unicode text strings in scripts?

I am dealing with an application that is an add-in to PowerPoint.  I can copy/paste the different language text strings I need to validate in the PowerPoint fields just fine.  When I try to paste them in to a string statement in a keyword test the characters pasted are replaced by ???.  If I set the variable value in a script, the text input to the control is still ??? or blank spaces.  I have to do this same test with other language strings as well.  How to I tell TestComplete to just use the characters I am telling it to?  The application is still in English as is the Windows system.  I just want to put the string in to a field.  Is there any way of doing this without resorting to copy/paste?

5 Replies

• That was set to Auto, even if I change it to UTF-16 my strings get converted back to ?? or spaces.
  • Certain things do work after following the document, but others don't, that's where it gets confusing.  Variables being set in a keyword test are still a problem, have to set those programmatically in a script instead.  If you can do a SetText on a control, no problem, if you have to do a Keys method, still problems.  Just working around this for the situations where SetText isn't available to use a copy/paste instead.  Ugly but it does work.

Add-ins to PowerPoint have all the PowerPoint issues and the PowerPoint controls are just not pretty in TestComplete, even after adding the UIAutomation to them.