Forum Discussion

nittynair
Occasional Contributor
13 years ago

Testing Dynamic pages

How to test dynamic pages

Do we need to use Property checkpoint/Object checkpoints to record the fields which change dynamically

5 Replies

nittynair
    Occasional Contributor
    currently using test complete for a web application .

I was using property check point to check for a cell with inner text "--Select--" to add data in that row ... but the cell properties change every time i access the page with different users ... how to fix the property?

thanks in advance
    irina_lukina
    Super Contributor

Hi Nitty,

As far as I understand, you have a table with a cell that contains a combo box with the "--Select--" value and the position of this combo box in the table is different for different users (for example, the number of rows may be different and the combo box is always in the last cell). If I'm right, the problem is not related to the property checkpoint. It is caused by incorrect object identification used in this checkpoint. The solution to the problem depends on your project and its items. There are two main approaches that depend on whether you are using Name Mapping or not.

1. If you are using the Name Mapping scheme, you can either use the Extended Search or the Required Children techniques. For more information, refer to the [url=http://smartbear.com/support/screencasts/testcomplete/reliable-tests-for-dynamic-objects/]Creating Reliable Tests For Dynamic Objects with Name Mapping

[/url] video on our web site.

2. If you are not using Name Mapping in your project, you can use the Find method to search for the desired combo box within the entire table (for example, you can search for this control by its name) and then use the found object in the property checkpoint.

If I don't get you right, please describe the problem in as much detail as possible and post here a screenshot of your application so I can see the table and other controls you mentioned.

Thanks.

nittynair
    Occasional Contributor
    Hi Irina,

Thanks a lot for the help .. the video was very helpful and I could get a solution for my problem.