Forum Discussion

MaheshBhoite
Occasional Contributor
8 years ago

TestComplete VBScript to Python script conversion

We have a TestComplete project running using VBScript, our management has decided to explore Python as scripting language. How should I approach converting the vbs script files to python files?

Is there any short way of doing it or do I have to convert function by function?

3 Replies

baxatob
    Community Hero

No short way. You need to go step by step - it is the safest way. However you can use some features to make this process a little bit easier. E.g. you can use Ctrl-H to replace/remove redundant symbols.

AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3

Hi,

No short way as it was said already.

I participated in different projects for different customers and found that it helps if you try to use TestComplete's functionality / functions as many as you can instead of using script language-specific ones. The more TestComplete objects and functions is used in your code, the more migration from language to language becomes a task of plain syntax adjustment and you don't have a problem to figure-out how to implement some language-specific features using some other language.

Obviously, if you are working for a very long and dedicated test project, you may benefit if you use language specifics for your test code. But this significantly decreases code portability.

mgroen2
      Super Contributor

MaheshBhoite

Haven't tried it, but thinking a bit 'out of the box', I thought of this scenario;

1. install a second testcomplete version (could go for  a trial edition);

2. play (execute) the VBScript tests on the machine on TestComplete;

3. record actions in second (installed at step 1) TestComplete version ('record actions from screen');

4. after test execution, convert the recorded actions in step 3 to Python

I am sure this won't work for all actions but you might want to give it a shot...