Forum Discussion

mgroen2
Super Contributor
8 years ago

TestComplete usage in the business market in The Netherlands (Europe)

When looking into job descriptions for testers, test engineers, test automation engineers, etc.. I very rarely see anything mentioned about usage of TestComplete.... My focus is primarily on Netherlands. I do not have any info on TestComplete usages in nearby countries (Belgium, Germany, France)...

When I speak to head hunters about my TestComplete background, and I ask about companies using TestComplete, I get the answer "never heard of it", almost all the time! :(

I wonder why is it that so little companies in Netherlands use TestComplete for their test automation?

What is populair (in job descriptions) nowadays here is Selenium and Coded UI frameworks....

Do you have an idea as to what is causing this? And how to "fix" this?

12 Replies

baxatob
    Community Hero

Yes, that's true. 

Let check keyword statistics for USA on indeed.com:

Test Automation gives 22,100 positions

Selenium gives 5,263 positions

TestComplete gives only 90...

First of all companies are looking people for general processes and only then for particular tool.

Most of companies do not know what exactly they need. They only know that they need test automation. Some of them know about Selenium, because it is really good and (!) free

mgroen2
      Super Contributor

baxatob thanks for the reply.

Searching on 'TestComplete' on indeed.com for Netherlands only give 12 results :(

Recognizable : companies just shout 'we need to start doing testautomation', but have no clue as to how to start it on a mature level, and so they follow the rest of the herd and choose Selenium... but it is really good? It's good for developers, but requires specific skillset and it's not really practical for the 'non technical' QA kind of people....

tristaanogre
        Esteemed Contributor

To be honest, the trend is the same across the industry, even here in the US, especially for testing web applications everyone wants Selenium or similar experience.  Two reasons that I figure this is the case:

1) Selenium is free and the current global economy is all about doing the most with less capital.  Especially with smaller companies.  

2) The industry is more and more heading into the web and the cloud for their software solutions and companies are looking for a "Web testing tool". TestComplete does web testing but it is not an exclusively web testing tool so any searching will come up with Selenium.