Forum Discussion

scottb
Contributor
10 years ago
Solved

Testcomplete runs impressively slow after upgrade to 10.4 Enterprise

Last week I upgraded my test system from 10.3 standard to 10.4 Enterprise.  After the upgrade Testcomplete runs extremely slow.  At this time TC is unusable.  Fortunately this is only a development system and we don't have a hot project right now.  

When walking through JScripts in debug mode I notice that writes to Log.Message() take a few seconds per write.  

I monitored the system activity using Sysinternal's Process Monitor utility.  Process Monitor show a lot of delays from an operation with hasplms.exe.  It is trying to create file <C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\SafeNet Sentinel\Sentinel LDK\installed> and getting a results "NAME NOT FOUND".  It only takes about three or four tenths of a second when it does this, but it does this once every second or two.  That seems like a lot of work to make sure TC is licensed.

I also noticed a lot of activity with TCHookX64, but it seems to run quite fast. 

I can provide the Smartbear staff with a Process Monitor dump while a delay is occuring when writing to Log.Message if requested, but I will not post the dump here.

Do I need to change permissions for TC perhaps?  Or did the licensing configuration change in a bad way between 10.3 and 10.4 Enterprise? 

My SUT is Windows 7 Professional with service pack 1. 

My hardware is a slightly beefy Intell i7-2600K CPU @ 3.4-GHz 3.4 GHz.  8GB RAM.  64 bit O/S.  1TB hard disk with about 390GB free space.

The Windows task manager > Resource Monitor show about 1.1GB free space in RAM while TC is running.  

I don't believe the hardware and O/S resources are an issue, especially since everything worked fine before the upgrade.

• Scott,

Creating performance counters and then running that project on a different machine can also lead to dramatic increases in test execution time. In some cases, tests ran 10-20 times longer on a VM than developer box.  Process Monitor revealed that a large number of TCP Reconnect operations were made to the developer box, due to including performance counters in the project. Removing the counters restored the performance.  

12 Replies

• Thank you for checking Simon.  

I have a node-locked license.  

I don't see network oriented issues in Process Monitor.  All the network stuff runs quickly. 
  • Hmmm ...

It looks like this problem is specific to just one Project Suite.  I spot checked a few other Suites by running this same test in them.  So far, only one Suite has this issue. The others run in under one second. 

Are there settings in the Project Suite, or Project, that could make Log.Message run super slow?  

I know there are some options in the Playback form and General form, but those are identical between by "good" Suite and the "bad" Suite. 

I also ran the "bad" Suite on a different computer and it ran in 1:08 (one minute and eight seconds).  This system was 10.40 also, but it did not have Web testing installed. So this problem looks like something specific to this Project Suite.

Can the stored data in a Project Suite get mangled internally so that log commands run super slow?