Forum Discussion

svaze74_1
Contributor
11 years ago

TestComplete Enterprise Vs Selenium

Hi All,

We have a TestComplete license and we are using it for test automation of desktop application.

Now we are migrating from Desktop to cloud based application.

Can anyone pl tell me why we should buy a licensed commercial product like TestComplete Enterprise edition than Selenium which is free open source tool having such great features, scalable and established?

Thanks,
Shrirang

24 Replies

Philip_Baird
    Community Expert
    Hi Alexei and Masha, thank you for your replies.

I have confirmed we have Test Complete 10.5 available for download.

Company policy requires I evaluate Test Complete 10.5 before replacing the current version of Test Complete.

I need to do this on a machine that has our current version installed with a node locked license.

What is the best way to do this? we have floating licenses available if that helps.

Also, I was unable to attend the Webinar, it would be great if you could make a recording avaialable.

Regards,

Phil Baird

AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3
    Hi Phil,

> I need to do this on a machine that has our current version installed with a node locked license.

> What is the best way to do this? we have floating licenses available if that helps.

I think that I did not understand the problem you are talking about...

It is possible to install TestComplete 10.50 on the machine with the node-locked license and check whether your test projects work without problems. Do this check on the temporary copy, but not on the 'live' project that others are working with.

You can always uninstall TestComplete (keeping the existing license when asked by the uninstaller) on this machine and install its previous version, thus, effectively downgrading it.

If you have floating license(s) and verification on some defined machine is not a requirement, then you may install TestComplete on whatever other machine you like, copy test project there and perform evaluation.

Did I miss something?

• >> I need to do this on a machine that has our current version installed with a node locked license.

Chuck the 10.50 installer on the machine and run it! Simple as that. It will automatically find and update the currently installed version.

I did exactly this, on the same setup yesterday.

I'll be interested to hear how it behaves for you. I did hit a few issues with the install but it does work after a bit of poking and prodding. (And they have fixed the issue I had with the 10.40 build)

http://smartbear.com/forums/f81/t97582/error-installing-tc10-50/

But Alexei had no problems .....
  • Hi Phil, Sorry I didn't access the forum for a few days thus the delayed response.

Yes  there is a way to try TC 10.5 on your TC 10.4 machine by obtaining a trial license from our support. 

But may I ask why you need to install TC10.5 trial on the same system that houses your current TC version? In general, you can point to another machine on the network to get access to your tests.

Best Regards,

Masha