Forum Discussion

TC_UserP
Contributor
7 years ago

TestComplete Crashes: When the test fails to identify any objects

TestComplete Crashes: When the test fails to identify any objects , the testcomplete crashes instead of just failing and the logs are also not saved. This becomes impossible to work and identify the failing steps.

Test Complete version:  Version: 12.42.3048.7 x86

The properties settings have been attached for reference.

3 Replies

Marsha_R
    Champion Level 3

Are you using keyword tests or scripting (in which language?).  It would be helpful to see the code where it crashes. 

Did this code ever work? 

Did you recently do an update of your application or of TestComplete?  

• It is a Keyword driven tests .

The test did work.

My Test Complete is updated.

I have raised a support case and submitted the Memory dump.

Lets see the real issue!

Thank You!

tristaanogre
      Esteemed Contributor

I have a support case open for a similar situation.  It's not so much that it can't find the object but that there's a lot of "find" logic happening throughout my project.  We have the Extended Find flag set on some modal windows, we're using findChild and FindAllChildren in some situations, WaitForProperty against those modals which does some finding internally...  And TC craps out.

What I've done that works around this is minimize the use of Extended Find.  I'm slowly re-mapping my UI objects where, unless ABSOLUTELY necessary, I don't use Extended Find... and most DEFINITELY not on modal windows that I need to detect.  This has reduced the instance of this crashing.

My response from SmartBear is that there's a stack overflow in the threading somewhere between different areas of the application.  They have a number of memory dumps from me (I used ReportGenerator and reproduced the problem and sent them the resulting report as well).  So... if you can send them similar information, it might help both of us out so that they can see similarties between our situations.