Forum Discussion

KLabrie
Occasional Contributor
8 years ago

TestComplete 11.31 - Code editor hang

Hi, 

I just start using TestComplete for my new job and I have an issue with the code editor.

When I am in the "Workspace" panel and in a script editing window, sometimes my cursor randomly change from TextCursor to WaitCursor rapidly for 15-60sec. During that, I can't do anything in the file, even scroll. I had track my memory usage and processor usage, the memory doesn't move, and TestComplete go up to ~15% of processor usage.

What is strange about this, is that I  can navigate in the "Project Explorer" tab without problem and even the menu bar.

I have read somes posts talking about the code editor being slow, and try some solution. 

1. Project size : I tryed with new project and still got the problem

2. Auto completion : I deactivate the "Auto Pop-up" in the option for the auto-complete and still got the problem.

I have the same setup of my coworkers, but someone said that some people of other teams were having the same issue when they came at our office (so I am not alone with this problem).

My spec : 

CPU : i7-4790 @ 3.60 GHz

RAM : 16 Go

TestComplete : Version 11.31.2420.7

Thanks

8 Replies

mgroen2
    Super Contributor

KLabrie you say that the memory doesn't move but it might still be a problem, depending on the actual usage.

Because TC is 32bit application, it can only access max. 2GB of RAM (I do not know if TC is compiled with Large Address Aware set to on, then it would be max 4GB). 

Running TC in real 64 bit mode would probably provide much better stability.

Voting on the request to release TC in a native 64bit mode would potentially make in upcoming TC versions. You can vote for it on this page.

You can read more about 32bit apps running on 64bit OS here. Also you can try to "patch" TC as described in the thread!

Update: After some research I concluded TC is LAA by default, so it can access as much as 4GB on 64bit systems.

KLabrie
      Occasional Contributor

My memory usage is near 250 Mo only, so not really close of the limit of x32 application. 

Yesterday, i tried to uninstall and install again.

Then i did the change in the option before opening a project and now the problem only occurs when I am saving. Save command can freeze my code editor up to 5sec sometime. 

For now, with the problem only occuring at save, I can work without random disturbance. So I am not in in a rush to find a solution at the problem, but if any other idea I will try.

mgroen2
        Super Contributor

KLabrie I was thinking about the issue once more. Maybe TC is not causing the issue, but some other program or process is blocking up resources?

Perhaps you could take a screenshot of Windows Taskmanager (displaying all current processes and services and their resource usages) at the moment the issue is occuring and post it here?

Also, could it be that your Windows OS is 64bit? And the application(s) you are testing are 64bit as well?