Forum Discussion

bhcommunity1
Contributor
9 months ago

TestComplete - Rendering the "Execution Plan"

Why is it that it always takes TestComplete an extremely long time to render the execution plan page within a project?

In a lot of cases, TestComplete seems to bounce back in forth in this state of being active (not rendering the Execution Plan), and then switching to a state of "not responding".  It will go on like this for minutes (10+).

Then if your lucky it eventually renders the Execution Plan entries.  Otherwise, you give up and kill the test complete process and start again.

Running: Version: 15.53.2.7 x64

Note: This is not a new issue. Have seen this since we bought the product years ago.

Note: Within the Execution Plan display, we have the properties portion minimized and its still slow to render.

Should be a gui-click-click thing achieved in seconds.

5 Replies

rraghvani
    Champion Level 3

I've never seen this issue before. Are you able to post a video clip of it?

rraghvani
    Champion Level 3

That looks bad!

Do you have a large number of tests in your Execution Plan? Do you use a file repository (or source control) such as GitHub, TFS? Or using BitBar?

I've seen something similar when using a file repository to which I don't have access, as I'm working locally (not on company VPN). It's trying to synchronise my local files with the file repository. Just wondering if it's a similar issue?

I've attached a video clip - the project consists of 1000 test cases, and 1000 tests in the execution plan. You can see how quick it loads. 

bhcommunity1
      Contributor

We use Git. 

• Our Git repository is stored on a company server.  (Not GitHub).
      • Individual users use TestComplete to clone the repository locally.  So were working with a copy on the developer's system.

We only have a handful of entries in the Execution Plan, but none of them are individual tests.  They are all Tag Expressions.

Note: Our Testcomplete project is bound to a Cucumber Studio project where the scenarios and corresponding tags are made and sync'd from.  

Attached screen shot to see rendered execution plan.

rraghvani
    Champion Level 3

I'm guessing it's due to the binding between TestComplete and Cucumber Studio, causing the process to respond incorrectly. If you were to unbind, will that temporarily "fix" the issue? It could also be a firewall issue, adding load, causing a backlog of requests.

I suggest opening a ticket via TestComplete: New Support Request or give them a ring directly, as there could be a quick fix.