Forum Discussion

acm
Contributor
7 years ago
Solved

Test Parameters vs. Persistent Variables

Good morning,

I am hoping that there may be a straightforward answer to why my tests will load a URL if using a keyword test -specific "test parameter", but fails to load when using project/project-suite "persistent variables".  I've attached screenshots of the various test param and persistent vars already set up.

My ultimate goal is be able to choose the URL, at the Project or Project Suite level, instead of having to modify/select the URL for each individual keyword test prior to run-time.

Thanks in advance.

Arlene

• Hi Arlene,

> In your reply, you wrote "use Local Variable".

Hm-m-m... I see just : "I would recommend to set the Local Value for the project variables.". Am I missing something ?

And yes, Local Value for the persistent project variable and Default Value for the temporary one.

5 Replies

acm
      Contributor

Thanks, that makes sense.  I set up a temporary variable and it works.

About the use of test parameters & variables, can you point me to a reference that explains or illustrates when to use one and not the other?  That would be so helpful.

Thank you.

Arlene

acm
        Contributor

Addendum:  In your reply, you wrote "use Local Variable".  But I could not find "Local Variable" although I see a "Local Value" found under Persistent Variables.  Did you mean Temporary Var then?  (If not, where do I find Local Var?)

Thanks,

Arlene

acm
      Contributor

Pls see attached.