Forum Discussion

madhavisri01
Contributor
14 years ago

Test Execute Licenses and set up

Hi,

Please help me understand what are the Test Execute Licenses types and how can we set it up or invoke on 10 Virtual machines.Can I set up one license server machine and invoke Test execute on remote machines or do I ineed to install on all machines and invoke it.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Madhavisri

6 Replies

• Hi Madhavisri,

The TestExecute license is a Floating license. I recommend that you read the "How Licensing Subsystem Works" article to understand how the licensing system works.

To use the product on a virtual machine, you need to do the following:

1. In your network, select a physical computer that will hold a license for TestExecute. Please read the "Selecting License Manager PC" article for details.

2. Install the License Manager on this PC.

3. Install TestExecute on the needed number of virtual machines.

The product should automatically find an activated license in your network when it starts. If you have any licensing problems when starting TestExecute, please refer to the "License Check Problems" help topic ( http://www.automatedqa.com/support/viewarticle/9112/ ).
    AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3
    Hi Madhavisri,

According to my understanding:

> 1.If I have to execute Test Scripts on 10 VM machines simultaneously(Different Os's with Named+Test Execute Licenses combination)Can I use Network Suite in Test complete for test execution in VM Machines?

Yes, this should be possible.

Note: "[...] Different Os's with Named+Test Execute Licenses combination [...]" -- TestExecute uses Float license only and TestComplete with Named license cannot be installed on the virtual machine. This made your quoted phrase not completely clear for me. But you should be able (to save the number of licenses) to execute a Network Suite that involves 10 slaves several of which are executed by TestExecute with Float license on the VM and several of which are executed by TestComplete with Named license on the physical boxes.

> 2.Is it mandatory  that I have to buy 10 Test Execute licenses for executing test scripts in 10 VM machines?

Yes, if you need to run all 10 machines simultaneously.

> [...] Can I use 3 Test Execute licenses and execute test scripts in 3 rounds?Does that work?

Yes, this should be possible (not in 3, but in 4 rounds: 3+3+2+2). You will have to modify the Network Suite so that correct Jobs/Tasks were executed for each round.
    TanyaYatskovska
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi Carol,

As you are owning one TestComplete license, it's possible to launch TestComplete only on one computer at a time. To execute tests, you need to install TestExecute on other computers in your LAN. All the installation files can be found in your SmartBear Account.

• Thanks David.Info is helpful.

Few more questions:

1.If I have to execute Test Scripts on 10 VM machines simultaneously(Different Os's with Named+Test Execute Licenses combination)Can I use Network Suite in Test complete for test execution in VM Machines?

2.Is it mandatory  that I have to buy 10 Test Execute licenses for executing test scripts in 10 VM machines?Can I use 3 Test Execute licenses and execute test scripts in 3 rounds?Does that work?

Please clarify.

Regards,

Madhavisri
  • Thanks Alex for the Info.Your suggestions are appreciated.

Regards,

Madhavisri
    cdeng
    Occasional Contributor
    Hello,

My company has 1 floating license and 3 execute license.  The license manager is running in ther server.  I've installed the TC10 in my machine as well my co-worker.  We can have only one person be able to "create" test cases at a time.  At the mean time, how can the other person execute it the test cases?  I've another person installed the TC10 in her machine.  While there is not anybody running TC, if we are all in the same network, why is not she be able to connect to the license manager server?  

Thank you very much!

Carol