Forum Discussion

jsr_78
Occasional Contributor
14 years ago

TE8 - unable to recognize a window of Installshield exe

Hi Everyone,

We have setup/build file that was written using Install shied.

I have written a script in “Test Complete 8 (using VB script)” to install that setup/build file to our testing pc’s (Windows XP).

For some reason Test execute 8 is not able to recognize a window of install shield when it is displayed. But when I debug or run the same script from Test complete 8 it recognize the window and works fine.

I have tried the same thing using TC7 & TE7 and result is the same (i.e. TE7 doesn’t recognize the window where TC7 works fine.)

Below is the statement of the script for the window I am looking for:

If (Sys.Process("MSIEXEC", 2).WaitWindow("MsiDialogCloseClass", "All New Mortgage Brain - InstallShield Wizard", 1, 5000).Exists) Then Sys.Process("MSIEXEC", 2)..Window("MsiDialogCloseClass", "All New Mortgage Brain - InstallShield Wizard", 1).Window("Button", "&Next >", 1).ClickButton

End if

The window which I looking for is marked in red colour above.

The error which I am getting is:

Missing Object

Alias:

MSIEXEC.wndMsiDialogCloseClass

Mapping item:

Sys.MSIEXEC.wndMsiDialogCloseClass

I have tried using Recording and playback even that didn’t work  when I run the script from TE8

Please help me in this.

Regards,

Srinivas

18 Replies

AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3
    Hi Amit,

Test Complete module is TestComplete's core (that is useless without any module :) )

Desktop Module makes it possible for TestComplete core to access internals of the desktop applications and control them.

Likewise, Web Testing module makes it possible for TestComplete core to access internals of web applications running in either standalone browser or in browser control and do cross-browser testing.

Similarly, Mobile module provides TestComplete's core with possibility to test mobile applications.
    amit_barve
    Occasional Contributor
    Hi Alexei,

Is this all modules are pre-included in Test Complete Or I have to purchase it as per my requirements?

Thanks & Regards,

Amit

TanyaYatskovska
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    Hi Amit,

You can install all modules on the computer when installing TestComplete. However, the main note is that each module has its own license. Thus, if you activate the license only for the Web Testing module, you won't be able to perform desktop and mobile testing. You can buy the licenses for any number of modules.

amit_barve
    Occasional Contributor
    Hi Alexei,

Thanks For your support.

I have Installed a Test Complete Trial Version. Using it, I am able to Record and Play the Test Scripts for Web page.

My overall Test scope is to cover Web Based application testing and some desktop application testing.

Is this all modules of Desktop and Web based testing is required to append?

Is it pre-installed with Trail version?

Thanks,

Amit

TanyaYatskovska
    Amit, the trial version includes all modules. 

The only thing is that you couldn't install some of them - when installing TestComplete, you were asked what modules to install. Check the list of modules available in File | Install Extensions. It should look like this:

amit_barve
    Occasional Contributor
    Hi Tanya,

Thanks for your support.

Now i am able to acess the modules and extensions.

I have 3 Projects in my project suits like Project1, Project2 & Project3.

Think I would like to run Project 2 first, then Project1 and so on. How would I determine the club?

I had found the accompanying forum, but there I didn't find any ordering like Number1, 2 and so on.

http://support.smartbear.com/viewarticle/56313/

Would you please check.

Regards,

Amit

TanyaYatskovska
    Hi Amit,

How do you start the test execution?

You could create a batch file and run projects in the needed order via TestComplete's command line. Please read the "TestComplete Command Line" article for details.