Forum Discussion

amcnamara
Contributor
9 years ago
Solved

sihost.exe process crashed?

Hi all-

I am running my tests for general regression testing in suites of about 10 tests. Almost half the time I have at least one test failing because of the error "The sihost.exe process crashed." I have "Stop on Errors" turned off an so the tests continue and pass just fine, but I'm curious why this is happening?

Has anyone else seen this? I ran some malware checks against my machine and nothing seems to come up. The sihost.exe appears to be the executable that is producing my shells for my application but I'm not 100% sure of that.

• I'm going to stick my neck out here and say that I remember that we had this issue on one of our Windows 10 machines and we turned off the setting: Options\Engines\General\Windows Store Applications  'Enable support for testing Windows Store applications (requires restart). We unchecked it.

This assumes that you are not testing Windows Store Applications.

We also saw that calculator or some other Windows app would start when TestExecute started up when this setting was checked = on.

If you have both TestComplete and TestExecute on the machine you willl have to make that entry in both applications.

We are using TestComplete and TestExecute version 11.20.1491.7

4 Replies

• I'm going to stick my neck out here and say that I remember that we had this issue on one of our Windows 10 machines and we turned off the setting: Options\Engines\General\Windows Store Applications  'Enable support for testing Windows Store applications (requires restart). We unchecked it.

This assumes that you are not testing Windows Store Applications.

We also saw that calculator or some other Windows app would start when TestExecute started up when this setting was checked = on.

If you have both TestComplete and TestExecute on the machine you willl have to make that entry in both applications.

We are using TestComplete and TestExecute version 11.20.1491.7

• I have seen the same thing dozens of times on my 2 windows 10 PCs, when running several hours worth of tests on them.  I looked it up and it seems sihost.exe is the wrapper around windows explorer for cortana and stuff like that.  So when it crashes, windows automatically restarts it, and if the tests run long enough, it will crash again.  I similarly did not have any issues with the tests other than the error and the fact that my test emails my manager that it failed as a result of that error.

I did not try the windows store applications suggestion.

amcnamara
      Contributor

Thank you both so much for your responses. I didn't mention that I had the Window Applications popping up like was mentioned in the above resolution because I didn't connect the two issues! I am in fact on Windows 10, and disabling testing the Windows Applications has appeared to fix my issue.

Again, thanks so much. This community always comes through.