Forum Discussion

Techtravel
Occasional Contributor
13 years ago

Save a complete project that will run in TestExecute?

Generally when my fellow test creator and I would make a test suite in TestComplete it would all be contained within a single folder in which we just push to our TestExecute machine and run fine.

Well a few days ago something happened, now all the tests will run fine within TestComplete but give one of several errors when ran from TestExecute. The folder structure is different and only has a Log folder and Visualizer folder, the scripts folder is gone etc. Now after a bit more research we find the scripts folder for the selected test and the rest of the missing folders however when put back into the proper folder in the traditional default structure it will function properly in TestComplete but still will not operate in TestExecute. We have no idea what happened or why things had been moved around, is there some option within TC that would do this and.or reverse it?

Now my question is how we can take the working TC test and re-save it into a new folder with all scripts and other needed files so it will run within TestExecute so we do not have to waste a week redoing all our work.

3 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor
    There's no particular option that will move things around like that.

However, if someone did a "save as" on the project files and saved them to a different folder, that will save the project file ONLY to the new folder and not any of the other files and linked files.

As for a best practice... don't use the "save as" to move projects from one folder to another... use the Windows file copying to copy folder to folder...  That's KINDA a best practice...

A BETTER best practice is to utilize a source control system like TFS, VSS, Mercurial, or some such thing to create your repository of projects preserving all necessary file structures (which could include "non-standard" folder structures such as a "common" folder or something that is shared among multiple projects).  Then, on your destination machine, do the necessary GET command to pull down the files in the same structure.  While you're not doing development on your TestExecute box, you are operating against the source code of your tests and need to make sure that source code structure is preserved on all machines.  Source control systems, in my experience, are the most reliable way of doing that.
    Techtravel
    Occasional Contributor
    Still didn't answer my question, is there anyway for us to re-save the project in TestComplete so that it will have all needed content in one folder so that we can push the folder to our other machine and will function properly in TestExecute?
    tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor
    As for a best practice... don't use the "save as" to move projects from one folder to another... use the Windows file copying to copy folder to folder...  That's KINDA a best practice...

In other words, not in TestComplete.  When the file structure goes outside of the "expected" structure, then you need to use external tools (such as Windows Explorer or a source control system) to copy the file around.