Forum Discussion

TikiHardBop
Occasional Contributor
6 months ago

Running Edge in IE mode

This has been asked a couple of times, but I have yet to see a satisfactory answer. Our app opens up in the Edge browser in IE mode. You can record a test, albeit slowly. When you try to run the test, you get an unable to find object Sys.Browser("iexplore") error. Going to the object browser, you do see a Browser("iexplore") object. 

Any suggestions on how to get around this problem? We are in the process of transitioning, but it is going to take a while, so a workaround be be very helpful to us. 

14 Replies

TikiHardBop
      Occasional Contributor

I changed the command to Browsers.Item[btEdge].Navigate("[URL of AUT") and I am now getting this error: 

Marsha_R
    Champion Level 3

Did you check the extension? TestComplete error messages are pretty good at telling you what's wrong.

rraghvani
    Champion Level 3

It's definitely the SmartBear Test Extension that is not working, or is not being enabled. Your policy settings could be disabling extensions from running on Edge. I suggest you speak to your IT team, to see what has changed, and if possible allow the extension.

Marsha_R
    Champion Level 3

What version of TestComplete are you using? What version of Edge are you using?

TikiHardBop
      Occasional Contributor

TestComplete: 15.55.33.7 x64

Edge 119.0.2151.58 x64

rraghvani
    Champion Level 3

Here's a script example in Python,

def main():
        Browsers.Item[btEdge].Run("https://smartbearstore.smartbear.com/samples/TestComplete14/smartstore/");
        page = Sys.Browser("edge").Page("*");
        phone = page.Find("Name", "Article(0)", 100);
        if (phone.Exists):
            # Highlight mobile phone
            Sys.HighlightObject(phone)

That will highlight the mobile phone item.

Using TC v15.55.53.7 and Edge v119.0.2151.58, with IE Mode set to Allowed

TikiHardBop
    Occasional Contributor

Thanks so much for providing the example I can test with! 

So when I started the test, the Edge browser looked like this: 

 You can see that the browser is in Edge mode. The icon on the left shows that the TestComplete extension is installed and active. 

So when I run the snippet you gave me, I get the following error: 

 Which does say to me that it is having problems talking to the extension. Following the highlighted link, however, takes me to this page:

 which re-affirms to me that the extension is installed. 

So as a further test, I tried reloading that same page in regular Edge mode and when I tried to record a test, I got this error: 

It then takes me to the page just above that says the extension is installed. 

So it appears to me that something hinky is going on. I am able to run under Chrome without any issues at all. We did recently have an issue with the tests not running due to a group policy that was removing values from the registry. Could we be having problems with something like this? 

TikiHardBop
      Occasional Contributor

I tried the Object Spy Tool and it can't seem to recognize anything smaller than the entire page. 

I have tried installing and re-installing the extension multiple times to no effect.