Forum Discussion

eykxas
Frequent Contributor
4 months ago

"Resetting" testcomplete

Hi everyone !

My thread title is not proper but I don't how to describe the issue better.

When I run my test campaign, the first run take like 13min. Any subsequent run add more and more time. At the sixth run, for example, the campaign take like 20min. 

If I want my test campaign to be sufficiently reliable (in time perf), I need to restart TestComplete for each run. There is a way to "reset" TestComplete without restart it ?

8 Replies

rraghvani
    Champion Level 3

What version of TC are you using? Is this web or app testing?

Marsha_R
    Champion Level 3

If you can narrow down where the time lag is happening, we may be able to help you fix that problem instead of having to restart every time. Do you have any ideas about which part of the test might be causing this? If you want to experiment, you can comment out different parts of the test and run it and see if you still see the lag. 

eykxas
    Frequent Contributor

rraghvani - Currently I'm using TC 15.57. It's a web app. 

Marsha_R - I cannot isolate which part causing this, and, I don't think that the problem is inside my test. I mean not directly. When I start TC, it use about 180 MB in memory. Each time I run my test campaign the memory used increase by 100/150MB. At the end of the day, TC use sometime 1 to 2 GB.

So TC never releases memory and I think that's what increases my testing time.

rraghvani
      Champion Level 3

If you have been noticing the memory increasing after each run, then it could be a memory leak within TestComplete, which will eventually start to slow things down. Check your code to ensure you are not allocating memory etc yourself.

I suggest you open a TestComplete: New Support Request

Marsha_R
        Champion Level 3

The memory leak does point to something in your code. Not that you've done something wrong, and I'm sure it's an issue with TC, but since it's not happening to everyone, there's something in your code that's triggering it. A support request is the way to go, but if you'd like to find a workaround in the meantime, you can check it on your own.

BreezerK
    Occasional Contributor

Do you notice the same issue when executing with TestExecute?

eykxas
    Frequent Contributor

I don't use TestExecute at this time, so I don't know. 

Creating a support request could be a waste of time. Because I can't show the project directly. (Or with an NDA, but my company isn't very keen on doing one.)