Forum Discussion

wynandb1
Contributor
10 years ago

Re: .VBS Script Help Again Please...

Good day

I need help with the following code again please. 

I need to open excel file A with data in, and copy the content from Cell (F1) . 

Then I need to open excel File B and paste the content copied from excel file A Cell (F1) to Cell (A1) in excel file B.

Herewith the code that I have thats not working . 

dim obXl,obWb,wbA,wbB

Set objXl = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
objXl.Visible = True

objXl.displayalerts=False

Set objWbA = objXl.WorkSheets.Open("C:\Users\Wynandb\Documents\Surebank_Release_Regression_Test_Data.xls")("Sheet1")
Set objWbB = objXl.WorkSheets.Open("C:\Users\Wynandb\Documents\TC_Bizbank_Batch_Import\Beneficiary.xls")("Sheet1")

objWb.Activate
wsA.Range("F1").Select
excel.Selection.Copy
wsB.Activate
wsTo.Range("A1").Select
wsB.Paste

objWbB.SaveAs "C:\Users\Wynandb\Documents\TC_Bizbank_Batch_Import\Beneficiary" & "csv", 23

objXL.Quit

Set objExcel = Nothing
set objExcelBook = Nothing

Any Help would be appreciated

Kind Regards

Wynand

• Hi Wynand,

• Start by putting Option Explicit at the top of each of your VBScript units, and re-run the code. It'll alert you about undeclared variables, and will help spot misspelled or misused variable names.

• Make sure to Dim and initialize (assign values) all variables before using them. For example, your code uses the following variables that haven't been assigned values: excel, wsA, wsB, objWb, wsTo, objExcel, objExcelBook

• To open an Excel file, use the Excel object's .Workbooks.Open method, not .WorkSheets.Open.

• To access sheets, use a workbook object's .Sheets("sheet_name") property.

• There's no need to use .Copy and .Paste - you can assign the cell values directly, as in a = b.

• "C:\Users\Wynandb\Documents\TC_Bizbank_Batch_Import\Beneficiary" & "csv" - this creates the file name ...\Beneficiarycsv. It is missing the dot (.) before the extension.

• Avoid magic numbers like 23 in your code, turn them into named constants.

Option Explicit

Const xlCSVWindows = 23 Dim objXl, objWbA, objWbB, objSheetA, objSheetB Set objXl = CreateObject("Excel.Application") objXl.Visible = True objXl.DisplayAlerts = False Set objWbA = objXl.Workbooks.Open("C:\Users\Wynandb\Documents\Surebank_Release_Regression_Test_Data.xls") Set objSheetA = objWbA.Sheets("Sheet1") Set objWbB = objXl.Workbooks.Open("C:\Users\Wynandb\Documents\TC_Bizbank_Batch_Import\Beneficiary.xls") Set objSheetB = objWbB.Sheets("Sheet1") objSheetB.Range("A1").Value2 = objSheetA.Range("F1").Value2 objWbB.SaveAs "C:\Users\Wynandb\Documents\TC_Bizbank_Batch_Import\Beneficiary.csv", xlCSVWindows objWbB.Close objWbA.Close
    objXl.Quit

HKosova
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi Wynand,

• Start by putting Option Explicit at the top of each of your VBScript units, and re-run the code. It'll alert you about undeclared variables, and will help spot misspelled or misused variable names.

• Make sure to Dim and initialize (assign values) all variables before using them. For example, your code uses the following variables that haven't been assigned values: excel, wsA, wsB, objWb, wsTo, objExcel, objExcelBook

• To open an Excel file, use the Excel object's .Workbooks.Open method, not .WorkSheets.Open.

• To access sheets, use a workbook object's .Sheets("sheet_name") property.

• There's no need to use .Copy and .Paste - you can assign the cell values directly, as in a = b.

• "C:\Users\Wynandb\Documents\TC_Bizbank_Batch_Import\Beneficiary" & "csv" - this creates the file name ...\Beneficiarycsv. It is missing the dot (.) before the extension.

• Avoid magic numbers like 23 in your code, turn them into named constants.

Option Explicit

Const xlCSVWindows = 23 Dim objXl, objWbA, objWbB, objSheetA, objSheetB Set objXl = CreateObject("Excel.Application") objXl.Visible = True objXl.DisplayAlerts = False Set objWbA = objXl.Workbooks.Open("C:\Users\Wynandb\Documents\Surebank_Release_Regression_Test_Data.xls") Set objSheetA = objWbA.Sheets("Sheet1") Set objWbB = objXl.Workbooks.Open("C:\Users\Wynandb\Documents\TC_Bizbank_Batch_Import\Beneficiary.xls") Set objSheetB = objWbB.Sheets("Sheet1") objSheetB.Range("A1").Value2 = objSheetA.Range("F1").Value2 objWbB.SaveAs "C:\Users\Wynandb\Documents\TC_Bizbank_Batch_Import\Beneficiary.csv", xlCSVWindows objWbB.Close objWbA.Close
    objXl.Quit

wynandb1
      Contributor

Hi Helen

Thank you or your help. 

I will certainly follow these guidelines. However there is still a problem with the script. 

I am getting the following error when I run this code.

Line 13 Char 1 Error : Subscript out of range.  

Could you perhaps assist  please ? 

Option Explicit

Const xlCSVWindows = 23 Dim objXl, objWbA, objWbB, objSheetA, objSheetB Set objXl = CreateObject("Excel.Application") objXl.Visible = True objXl.DisplayAlerts = False Set objWbA = objXl.Workbooks.Open("C:\Users\Wynandb\Documents\Surebank_Release_Regression_Test_Data.xls") Set objSheetA = objWbA.Sheets("Sheet1") Set objWbB = objXl.Workbooks.Open("C:\Users\Wynandb\Documents\TC_Bizbank_Batch_Import\Beneficiary.xls) Set objSheetB = objWbB.Sheets("Sheet1") objSheetB.Range("A1").Value2 = objSheetA.Range("F1").Value2 objWbB.SaveAs "C:\Users\Wynandb\Documents\TC_Bizbank_Batch_Import\Beneficiary.csv", xlCSVWindows objWbB.Close objWbA.Close
      objXl.Quit
        HKosova

Assuming line 13 is

Set objSheetB = objWbB.Sheets("Sheet1")

double-check the sheet name in your Beneficiary.xls file and update the code accordingly.

If your Excel files have just one sheet, you can also use .Sheets(1) instead of .Sheets("sheet_name").

P.S. Generic scripting questions that aren't directly related to TestComplete have better luck being answered on programming forums like Stack Overflow.

TanyaYatskovska

Hi Wynand,

Here are some notes based on your code:

'...
    objWb.Activate 'I think you should activate the excel file A here
    wsA.Range("F1").Select
    excel.Selection.Copy
    wsB.Activate ' wsB wan't declared. You shoyld activate the excel file B here
    wsTo.Range("A1").Select
    wsB.Paste ' wsB wasn't assigned
    objWbB.SaveAs "C:\Users\Wynandb\Documents\TC_Bizbank_Batch_Import\Beneficiary" & "csv", 23

objXL.Quit
    Set objExcel = Nothing

wynandb1
      Contributor

Hi Tanya

This is what I tried after your comments. Please note that I am not a developer. This is code that I scaped together from the internet and tweaked it a little. 

dim obXl,obWb,wbA,wbB

Set objXl = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
      objXl.Visible = True

objXl.displayalerts=False

Set objWbA = objXl.WorkSheets.Open("C:\Users\Wynandb\Documents\FileA.xls")("Sheet1")
      Set objWbB = objXl.WorkSheets.Open("C:\Users\Wynandb\Documents\TC_Bizbank_Batch_Import\FileB.xls")("Sheet1")

objWb.Activate("C:\Users\Wynandb\Documents\FileA.xls")
      wsA.Range("F1").Select
      excel.Selection.Copy
      wsB.Activate("C:\Users\Wynandb\Documents\TC_Bizbank_Batch_Import\FileA.xls")
      wsTo.Range("A1").Select
      wsB.Paste("C:\Users\Wynandb\Documents\TC_Bizbank_Batch_Import\FileB.xls")

objXL.Quit

Set objExcel = Nothing