Forum Discussion

itd-mfe
New Contributor
2 years ago

Problems with TestComplete 15 and Chrome 113

Test Complete Version: 15.51.4.7 x64

Chrome Version: 113.0.5672.63

Hello,

we are having problems running tests after updating Chrome from 112.0.5615.138 to 113.0.5672.63.

No more elements are detected in the test and the following error is logged:

The window with the handle 0x000000 does not exist.

Also no new elements can be mapped in the NameMapping. These are not recognized.

The TestExtension in Chrome seems to work, because the test can navigate via URL in the browser.

An update to the latest TestComplete version and also a reinstallation of the TestExtension plugin did not solve the problem.

Is there any known incompatibility between TestComplete 15.51.4.7 and Chrome 113?

Best regards

37 Replies

• Same issue.  TestComplete "Object browser" tab doesn't even detect/display the browser.

TestComplete: Version: 15.51.4.7 x64

Chrome: Version 113.0.5672.64

ThomasCasserly
    Frequent Contributor

So I have also discovered this issue after a recent system upgrade. Chrome version 113 is not compatible with the SmartBear extension.

I have tried downloading and installing Chrome version 105 and disabling updates by using information from 

https://www.chromium.org/administrators/turning-off-auto-updates/

and

https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/app-testing/web/general/preparing-browsers/chrome.html

I added the two new reg keys suggested (one by each article) with no success. Chrome still updates automatically to version 113. I am not connected to a workplace network so the ADM group policy option doesn't apply to me.

Does anyone know of any other methods for preventing Chrome from auto-updating? 

Otherwise Chrome cannot be currently used with TestComplete and will be useless until there is a patch.

AlexKaras
      Champion Level 3

ThomasCasserly :

Hi,

Does anyone know of any other methods for preventing Chrome from auto-updating?

Try to:

-- Stop and disable all Chrome/Google-related services; and

-- Delete the 'Update' folder under Chrome folder in Program Files and, maybe, your local user profile folder.

mfoster711 :

> it is probably a simple licensing issue.

Well... I will not argue against line of code you are talking about, but, considering the fact that all problems with TestComplete we are talking about here started in past March, my personal opinion is that the real reason is a little bit different...

mfoster711
        Regular Contributor

AlexKaras wrote:

problems with TestComplete we are talking about here started in past March, my personal opinion is that the real reason is a little bit different...

Many of the issues started in early 2022. Prior to that, I felt like support from Smartbear was OK.

mfoster711
    Regular Contributor

I could be wrong, but I would bet money that the reason TestComplete does not work with Chrome 113 is not due to any technical issues with the latest version of Chrome. Instead, it is probably a simple licensing issue. I'll explain.

Smartbear wants people to pay for licensing and support and they want people to use the latest version of their software. To help ensure this happens, they probably have a single line of code that says something like this:

If ChromeVersion > 112 Then
        Chrome not supported
    else
        Chrome is supported
    End If

If you need support for later versions of Chrome (which everybody does) then you must install a newer version of TestComplete where they changed that one line of code to support the newer version. This ensures people keep paying for support and using the latest version.

scottroutesmart
    Occasional Contributor

Agree with rraghvani, locked settings by IT.

I hope this also helps resolve some intermittent "Out of Memory" errors which seemed to start recently running TC along with Chrome.  I contacted support and was told I needed to downgrade to the latest supported Chrome version 102.  I suspect the memory issues also cropped up due to incompatibility issues with recent versions of Chrome.  Not sure if anyone else has seen this memory issue too???  (I had not seen it until the last couple of months, so we replaced my 16GB RAM and motherboard to make sure it wasn't my laptop.)

MarkHays
      Occasional Contributor

We have been encountering Memory Issues since late January.  With specific tests the memory issues happen probably about 80% of the time.  Other tests they do not happen at all.  The symptoms we see is that at a certain point the memory being used by Chrome increases rather rapidly until it crashes the system (or we kill Chrome).  We currently have an open case, but have not heard much.  

And specifically related to this thread, I tried to see which version of Chrome was installed and as soon as I went into About Chrome I saw that it was 112, but it immediately started updating.

scottroutesmart
        Occasional Contributor

Not trying to hijack this thread, but my memory issues started about the same time also.  I reported it on Feb 14 after a few instances of it occurring.  It started as a Runtime error 216, but also manifests as a chrome "out of memory" error.  Fingers crossed that support of the newest Chrome version will resolve this too.

mfoster711
    Regular Contributor

I realized Microsoft Edge is still on version 112 so I spent the morning trying to change all our testing to work on Edge. I also followed the instructions to disable updates to Edge to hopefully keep it on version 112 for now.

These instructions: https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/app-testing/web/general/preparing-browsers/edge.html 

Well, apparently this is only an option if your computers are connected to a domain. Mine are not. They are in a workgroup. I changed the group policy setting for Edge updates but if you look in Edge it displays the message "Update policies are configured but will be ignored because this device isn't domain joined".  So, this means I will still get Edge 113 version in the next day. 

In other words, I have wasted another day trying to work around breaks in TestComplete!!!

detached31
    Occasional Contributor

Maybe providing an option to hand-define a "browser" as some sort of text file (XML, JSON, JavaScript) would allow a faster workaround (albeit with some performance impact).

It would also provide a hope to have a long term support option, regardless of Smartbear dev/maintenance priorities.

mfoster711
    Regular Contributor

I am truly astonished that we are on day 3 without a resolution.

automation_ph
    Occasional Contributor

Fyi, looks like it is now fixed in Chrome. 

Should I now say "Happy testing!", or is is too early for that? Lol. Have a great day guys.

rhu
    Contributor

I had similar problems and it seems they are solved with Chrome Version 113.0.5672.93