Forum Discussion

DimaT
Occasional Contributor
14 years ago

Problem with Contols Recognition on TC 8.10

I've started using TC trial version on an Application with DevExpress Controls on a new machine ( actually virtual) and encountered a problem -

in Object Browser, NameEditor, Keywordscripts and other places one can not see DevExpress's object  names with their properties and events , but just Windows objects with their events instead.

Having searched the forum for solution I realised that the problem probably related to MSAA and Open Application controls recognition and  found some recieprs, for example:

http://smartbear.com/forums/forum/post/?mode=singleThread&thread=d1fb7f7c-43f7-4184-9735-211e80813295

but the solution is designed exclusively  for TC 7.52 as there is written.

Can you propose anything for 8++. ?

System Configuration:

WinXp SP3,

.Net 3.5 SP1 ,

DevExpress 9 (it 's probably not substantial here)

Virtual Machine,

TC Trial Version 8.10

TC Settings and Extensions:

.Net Open Application Support (Version 8.10) -installed and On,

. Net Classes  Support - Installed& On,

.   MSAA Open Applications ( Version 4.0) - installed and On  

Project Properties\Open Application\MSAA - "*" is checked and at the top of the list.

10 Replies

• Hi Dmitriy,

I suppose the problem is caused by the fact that you're using MSAA to work with .NET applications. Please disable the "*" element in MSAA options (or, if this does not help, even the entire MSAA plug-in) and check how objects are recognized after that.

DimaT
    Occasional Contributor
    Hi!

I've tried both  - removing the asterics and uncheckecking "MSAA Open A"checkbox in the list of extensions.  After unchecking I re-aunched TC.

Nothing has changed. The problem is still actual.

• Hi Dmitriy,

Please post a screenshot demonstrating what the tested application's objects tree looks like now, when you have .NET Open Applications plug-in enabled and MSAA Open Applications plug-in disabled.

DimaT
    Occasional Contributor
    Here it is.

• Hi Dmitriy,

The link got corrupted (due to the '%' char in the file's name, I believe). Could you please repost?

DimaT
    Occasional Contributor
    Ups! This one should be allright.

• Hi Dmitriy,

Thanks, this narrows down the problem a little. We know now that the tested application is not recognized as Open and this is the root cause of the problem. The objects can be accessed via MSAA, but using MSAA for .NET applications is not a very good idea, since the .NET Open applications feature can give you better recognition and more details. Now, let's work on the .NET Open applications problem. Please answer the following questions:

1. A possible cause of the problem is that some complex actions which take long to be complete are performed in the application's GUI threads when the application is started (the application's main window may become blank or unresponsive in such cases). If so, try increasing the "Method invoke timeout" option described in the "Project Properties - General Open Applications Options" help topic, check whether the problem persists and let us know your results.

2. Is your tested application compiled for an x86 platform or for a x64 platform?

3. Exactly how is the application launched? Is it launched as an item of the Tested Applications collection? Is it launched under another account (in RunAs mode)? Is it launched before or after TestComplete is launched? Please send us a detailed description of the steps you perform to launch the application.

4. Is the application launched from a network folder or from a folder having specific Runtime Security Policy settings? If it is, please make sure that the Runtime Security Policy settings for the folder from which the application is started are set as it is described in the "Working With Network and No-Touch-.NET-Deployment Applications" help topic.

5. The problem can be caused by the fact that TestComplete is terminated incorrectly and the tested application is not restarted after that. Is this your case?

6. Does your tested application use components that are not a part of the Windows Forms application framework by default (e.g. VCL.NET) or WPF components?

DimaT
    Occasional Contributor

1.N/a - I am triyng to recognise a control ,making a click on it, it relates to long operations nohow.

2. Is your tested application compiled for an x86 platform or for a x64 platform? 

It's for 32 bit's machines of x86 family.

3. Exactly how is the application launched? Is it launched as an item of the Tested Applications collection?

No, It is lauched without help of TC, manually,

Is it launched under another account (in RunAs mode)?

No, without Run As, just under account which belons to Local Administrator's Group and also belongs to domain

Is it launched before or after TestComplete is launched? Please send us a detailed description of the steps you perform to launch the application. 

I've tried both way's with the same result. The problem is definitely not in the way of launching tested app.

4. Is the application launched from a network folder or from a folder having specific Runtime Security Policy settings?

No, just from local disk.

If it is, please make sure that the Runtime Security Policy settings for the folder from which the application is started are set as it is described in the "Working With Network and No-Touch-.NET-Deployment Applications" help topic.

5. The problem can be caused by the fact that TestComplete is terminated incorrectly and the tested application is not restarted after that. Is this your case? 

No it's not. The problem occured afterr the first launch of TC.

6. Does your tested application use components that are not a part of the Windows Forms application framework by default (e.g. VCL.NET) or WPF components? 

As I've already written the tested App is built of DevExpress controls and custom classes derived from them.

I want to add a piece to the problem's description. I had no troubles with controls recognition with the same tested Application while working with TC (the same 8.10 trial version) on a different machine. The only difference between the machines I can point is that the second one ( on which the problem occurs) is virtual.
    DimaT
    Occasional Contributor
    Correction to previous post (there was a mistake): actually , I had no trouble with TC version 8 ( not 8.10) on a phisicall machine,

• Hi Dmitriy,

According your screenshot, even IE is not recognized as an Open application on your machine. So, it looks like a general problem with your TestComplete installation or environment. Please follow the steps below:

1. Uninstall TestComplete.

2. Remove the folder in which the tool was installed.

3. Reboot the machine.

4. Install the tool once again.

5. Check whether the problem can be reproduced. If it can be reproduced, follow step 3.

6. Check whether the problem can be reproduced with the sample .NET Open application shipped with TestComplete (<TestComplete 8 Samples>\Open Applications\C#).

7. Check whether the problem can be reproduced if Kaspersky antivirus is disabled.

8. Let us know which versions of .NET framework are installed on your machine? What is the version of your <Windows>\System32\mscoree.dll file (you can find that out via the file's properties).