Forum Discussion

davidA_1
New Contributor
14 years ago

Overall Test Execution Time

Hi,

As I begin building up a suite of tests, I have encountered a problem.  I aim to run well over 1,000 tests each time the test suite is run.  Each web test takes 1-5mins depending on how many tasks it does.

At 5 minutes per test, the 1000 tests will take about 80 hours, or 3 days.  This is clearly too long.  The obvious solution would be to run many tests in parallel, however this requires additional machines(or VMs) as well as additional TestExecute licenses.   

Are there any other solutions being used to solve the problem of 'too many tests'? 

Thanks,

David

1 Reply

• Hi David,

There is no other solution for work distribution since only a single virtual user can work with application's GUI at the same time. Having multiple users work with the GUI simultaneously would emulate several people fighting for mouse and keyboard (with unpredictable results). That is why only a single TestComplete/TestExecute test can be run on a machine at a time.

However, you can try to speed up your tests without distributing them to multiple machines. Try using suggestions provided in the following technical paper:

Automated Test Playback Performance Tips