Forum Discussion

Glouzzzdus
New Contributor
10 months ago

Need Support with clarify read\write abilities of tested apps.

I am currently working on automated testing of a desktop application using TestComplete with Python scripting. I've noticed some potential issues regarding the application's ability to read and write to the file system while being tested through TestComplete.

Could you please clarify if TestComplete has any impact on an application's file system read/write capabilities? If so, how can this be configured or managed within TestComplete?

Thank you for your assistance.

7 Replies

rraghvani
    Champion Level 3

What are the potential issues with regards to reading and writing to a file system, that you have noticed?

Glouzzzdus
      New Contributor

For instance, the application being tested should, upon every launch, write its state to a specific log file (and create it if it doesn't exist). However, when launching the tested application during automated tests, the log files aren't being created or modified. Yet, during manual launch, this happens according to the documentation.

Glouzzzdus
      New Contributor

But it's a fact. When launching the tested application, log files are not created or modified. With manual launch, we see the opposite. TestComplete runs with administrator privileges.

rraghvani
    Champion Level 3

Does you application provide any useful information as why it can't create or modify the log file? What language is your application written in?

What version of TestComplete are you using?

Glouzzzdus
      New Contributor

The version of TestComplete we are using is 15.55.53.7 x64. The application under test is written in C++ and doesn't log any reasons for what's happening. It simply doesn't create or modify its logs when launched under TestComplete, although there are no issues in manual mode. This was the reason for my question - does TestComplete with administrator rights in any way affect the application under test, specifically its ability to read and write its information to the designated location in the file system?

rraghvani
    Champion Level 3

How is your application launched? Where are the logs being written to (full path)?

I'm trying to get a better understanding, as you haven't provided enough information in the beginning. Hence my questions.